About this Training Course
This 4-day course offers a concise but practical introduction to the essential elements of E & P Decision Economics with particular emphasis on practical issues – what takes place, and why.
The emphasis throughout is on marshalling all aspects of the ‘Business Case’ required by decision-makers, including both the descriptive and illustrative modelling of the range of ‘Government Take’ mechanisms deployed in conventional taxation and alternative contract regimes. The course will also examine simple but effective techniques to model the essentials of E&P Project Risk.
The course will be suitable both for those new to the subject and serves as a focused refresher training with more practical real-world elements for those who are better versed in the subject.
Participants should attend with laptops running Microsoft Office, a PDF reader – and preferably without restrictive IT firewall (proprietary trial downloads may be suggested).
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop a keen practical appreciation of the essential drivers and principles within E&P Decision Economics
- Encourage incisive discussion on techniques employed, backed up by practical ‘hands-on’
- Banish the ‘Black-Box’ mentality
- Appreciate the role of ‘corporate beliefs’ and consequent range in potential valuations
- Comprehend principles underlying the range of ‘Fiscal Devices’ deployed by Governments
- Appreciate potential Tax Regime impact – both Company and National Agency decision-making
- Appreciate the linkages between Conventional Economic Indicators and Corporate Financial Measures
- Appreciate Quantitative Risk management, Asset and Portfolio level
- Interpret the range of model outputs to help enhance capital investment decision-making
- Understand Commercial Fundamentals to aid within Planning, Negotiations and Bidding
This course will benefit:
- Economists and strategists in National and International Oil Companies
- Petrotechnical staff contributing key data
- Exploration and Field Development analysts
- Reservoir Engineers
- Legal and Contracts
- Financial Analysts
- Accountants/ Auditors
- Business Development
- M & A negotiators
- Production Sharing contract specialists
Your expert course leader has been a career commercial specialist and frontline E&P Commercial Manager, with nearly 40 years’ continuous involvement in economics and business management, mostly within upstream oil. Following a degree in quantitative economics and finance, an early career in regional economic planning gave way to business analysis roles in the UK State Oil Company BNOC, and mainstream commercial management in the privatised ‘Britoil’. Following the merger with BP in 1988, he was commercial manager of Northern North Sea Projects and Ventures, moving into central commercial roles overviewing major investment process and commercial staff training and development. He devised and led the implementation of various State Oil & Gas Company skills programmes, has widely varied global experience across many different cultures, and is a master-accredited team working practitioner. He now works on varied international assignments within AGR Petroleum Services.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Well-structured course, useful ideas, and background understanding in Petroleum Risk Analysis and Economics.
Lead Petroleum Engineer, NPCP
This 4-day training has increased my capacity for evaluating assets.
GM – Asset Development & New Ventures, WalterSmith
A good refreshment to what you already know and a great course to take further in the day-to-day job application.
Finance & Economics, Mitra Energy
Excellent and brilliant course!
Manager, Petronas Carigali
It’s good to know what I don’t know.
Senior Business Analyst, PT Pertamina
Great course, has opened up my eyes and share a lot of light on many 'grey areas' of my knowledge of the industry.
Legal Executive, Brunei National Petroleum Company
The course was an ideal introduction to the economics that drive the upstream Petroleum decision making process and the external influences that can make an impact upon these decisions.
Middle East & Asia Pacific Regional Accounting Centres Director, Baker Hughes
A good course and overview with a very knowledgeable trainer.
Petroleum Engineer, APA Group
General overview of Petroleum Economics & PSC modelling workshop brings enlightenment and comprehensive understanding regarding the subject
Senior Project Engineer - Project Management Division, SKK Migas
PetroEdge courses are focused and well designed to be applicable to a narrow-medium audience, therefore, good value.
Sales Manager, CGG Multiclient & New Ventures
A thoroughly interesting and comprehensive understanding of the practices in the context of economics in the petroleum industry.