About this Training Course
This course aims to help geologists, geophysicists, stratigraphers and reservoir engineers gain a thorough understanding of the concepts and practical applications of sequence stratigraphy through integration of seismic sequence stratigraphy with well log sequence stratigraphy and the application of biostratigraphy to sequence stratigraphy.
The course examines the geological principles, processes and terminology related to the interpretation and use of seismic sequence stratigraphy and its integration with well log sequence stratigraphy and biostratigraphy. Concepts are illustrated with field examples of seismic, well-log, core, and outcrop data and reinforced with practical exercises using real data.
Course Content in Summary:
- Introduction to concepts, eustatic controls, seismic stratigraphy and definition of key terms.
- Controls – eustatic and basinal controls, accommodation and equilibrium types, systems tracts and systems tract boundaries.
- Sequences and systems tracts – highstand, falling stage, lowstand, transgressive and shelf margin systems tracts.
- Key surfaces and their identification from well logs, core, outcrop and seismic reflections.
- Sequence expression in well logs – log characters of parasequences, maximum flooding surfaces and criteria for picking sequence boundaries.
- Interpretation of systems tracts from well logs – integration of well log sequence stratigraphy with seismic sequence stratigraphy.
- Seismic expression of sequences – Interpretation of seismic reflections in depositional sequences – seismic sequence; seismic facies.
- Clastic and carbonate depositional environments – depositional responses to changes in relative sea level. Mixed systems and evaporites.
- Variations on the model.
- A review of application and exploration significance.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Gain an understanding of sequence stratigraphic controls and concepts.
- Recognise sequence stratigraphic surfaces, systems tracts and stratigraphic sequences on well-log cross-sections, seismic lines, and outcrop profiles and depositional facies.
- Construct a sequence stratigraphic model by integrating lithological, biostratigraphical, seismic and well data.
- Apply sequence stratigraphy effectively for facies predictions in exploration and production.
This course will benefit explorationists, geologists, stratigraphers and geophysicists who wish to extend their knowledge through integration of seismic sequence stratigraphy with well log sequence stratigraphy.
Your expert course leader is the Geosciences Technical Director for PetroEdge. She was previously, the manager of Robertson Petroleum Training Centre and a Senior Project Scientist at Robertson CGG. She has over 20 years of experience in teaching geology and leading field trips. Prior to her 8 years at Robertson, she was in academia as a lecturer for 6 years and a Research Fellow for 3 years. She has conducted fieldwork and led field trips in the US and many areas in the UK. In addition, she has led university regional geology day schools and has comprehensive experience in course and study programme writing.
She has extensive experience in delivering courses and in Clastic and Carbonate Reservoir Geology, Deepwater Turbidites, Sandstone Reservoirs, Wireline Log Interpretation, Integrated Sequence Stratigraphy, Basin Analysis and Exploration & Appraisal workshops globally. In delivering the Exploration Team Management Workshop, she has project managed and taught key principles and modules on project planning, data collection/collation, geophysical assessment, stratigraphy and facies mapping, source rock facies and hydrocarbon generation, play fairway mapping, risking and prospect evaluation. Her knowledge and enthusiasm for instructing is reflected in consistently being rated as excellent by trainees, and clients specifically requesting her participation in courses.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
Very detailed course led by an experienced instructor. The course provided extensive background and understanding of the wide variety of depositional environments and I gained key interpretation skills applicable to my role
Geologist, Tamarind Resources
The trainer is a very experienced instructor in sequence stratigraphy. The course material is self explanatory, well structured and provides a step by step guide to even non G&G core personnel. I am happy to have join this course!
Senior Reservoir Engineer, Tamarind Resources
The course is great. The instructor was well prepared and have a lot of experience in the Oil & Gas industry.
Production Geologist, SKK Migas
I have obtained thorough knowledge from the course. Comfortably learnt due to good organisation. Well done. Thanks!
Sedimentologist, Core Laboratories International
Great training by an experienced instructor.