Learn in teams and save more! Enjoy group discounts of up to 50% off normal fees for team based learning. Contact us on email@example.com to learn more today!
About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
The course is generally applicable to anyone who would like to understand more about coal. This course is designed to be particularly accessible to young professionals, and those who may already have a different background, and wish to understand more about this important international resource.
- Understand the historical development of coal and the peculiarities of the South East Asian scene relative to the international experience
- Understand the key parameters that make or break a coal project
- Learn the essential science behind coal
- Understand the relationship between water and gas in coal and the implications
- Understand mining methods, and why one type may be more suitable than another
- Comprehend the practicalities of material handling with coal, and the holistic pit to port (mine to harbour) system
- Learn what greenhouse emissions and a warming world would mean for the coal industry
- Comprehend the differences between resources and reserves and the requirements to move resources to reserves
- Understand the basic economic drivers behind coal projects
- Learn how to undertake due diligence on a coal project
- Participate in practical discussions and exercises that enhance practical understanding
- Mining engineers
- Potential investors in coal projects
- Financial analysts
The VILT will be delivered online in 5 sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Our trainer is a Geologist with over 40 years experience in the coal mining and energy industries. He has held leadership roles in industry and has worked as a Consultant to the Coal Bed Methane (CBM) and coal mining industry for the past 20 years. He has been a Managing Director of a leading directional drilling service and technology supply company, and a Research Leader in a coal seam gas associated with a major Australian CRC.
Our key expert is a Managing Director of a company based in Australia, which provides project management, technical services, business development, due diligence and consulting services in coal mining, CBM (CSG), Coal Mine Methane (CMM), drilling, fugitive emissions and other related areas. His company counts in its client list all of the major mining companies in Australia, and many CBM players. Our key expert, together with his son, have developed popular training courses in Coal Mining Fundamentals, CBM Fundamentals, CBM Production and Completion and Drilling, which have been delivered to a range of clients in Australia and overseas.
The company has developed unique skills in the evaluation of fugitive emissions from shallow open cut mining operations and act as Estimators for companies reporting to National Greenhouse Officer for Carbon Tax compliance. The company also manages surface to inseam directional drilling programs for geological exploration and degasification, and have developed expertise in the use of directional drilling data for improved geological modelling.
Our key expert has worked in most of the major coal seam gas basins throughout the world, and assisted with technology transfer of advanced directional drilling technology into emerging markets such as China, India, South Africa, Central-Asia and Eastern Europe. Recent related experience includes developing projects in Indonesia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, South America and Southern Africa.
Our trainer is the author of a number of papers that have been published in a range of journals and proceedings, and was also a co-recipient of the prestigious Stefanko Award for best paper at the 2007 SME Conference in Denver, CO, USA for a paper titled “A Petroleum Industry Approach to Coal Mine Drainage”.
Our key expert holds a BSc in Geology from the University of Newcastle, an MSc in Geology from the University of New England and an MBA from Deakin University. He is a member of the Geological Society of Australia. and the Society of Petroleum Engineers.