About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This data driven training course aims to provide a mechanism to overcome barriers and facilitate collaboration, coordination, cooperation and co-creation between the disciplines. We need to step back and rediscover the analytical methods at our disposal and learn how they can be best used to solve the problems that we face in exploration and production studies through critical thinking.
- Data and Knowledge: To raise the awareness of the value of the diverse range of data and knowledge available to us: What types of data are available to us to help us solve the technical problems? Are we making the best use of gravity and magnetics, seismic, cores, logs and reservoir engineering data? How do we find the knowledge we need?
- Recognising Bad Data: What are the pitfalls with each data type, how do we recognise bad data and what can we do to improve the data?
- Problems: To define the key problems that we must address in exploration and production: What are the problems we are trying to solve? Which data could we and should we use?
- Critical Thinking: How can we improve our critical thinking skills to improve our focus and solve problems more effectively: How do we frame the problem? How do we focus our analytical efforts? What critical thinking skills do we need?
The VILT has been designed to appeal to all subsurface disciplines and managers with a technical background, including geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, and engineers. The focus of the course is interdisciplinary integration so all disciplines will have something to contribute and the opportunity to learn more about other disciplines.
The VILT will take place over eight days, during which we will evaluate a single, multidisciplinary dataset. This dataset will be used to evaluate the value of each main data type and help us define the problems that we must solve and how best to solve them. The process will also focus on how to recognise bad data, the potential impact of bad data and what we can do about it. Throughout the data evaluation and problem-solving exercise, the class will also be introduced to the key skills required for critical thinking and focused problem solving, and ways in which we can reduce the impact of our biases and the subjective uncertainties they cause.
The VILT will be delivered online in 8 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day.
Your expert course leader has worked in many different basinal settings and plays, contributing to reservoir, source and seal characterisation projects in conventional and unconventional, clastic and carbonate reservoirs. He has gained over 30 years of experience in the various exploration projects in the O&G industry. He is currently an independent consultant and trainer.
Your expert course leader has combined experience in consulting and training with the following background in:
• Practical & Consulting – He was with Badley Ahston and Associates, (UK), where he worked on a wide range of reservoir problems, from exploration to production, for clients such as BP, Shell, Amerada Hess, PDO, etc. As an independent consultant he has also been involved with various field projects as well as development of training programs internationally.
• Training Delivery – He has been in training, mentoring and development, with experience in creation and presentation of classroom and field-based industry courses including: Basin Analysis, Play Fairway Analysis, Prospect Evaluation, Sequence Stratigraphy, Carbonate and Clastic Reservoir Geology, Reservoir Quality Analysis, Reservoir Modeling, Wireline Log Interpretation for Geologists, Formation Evaluation, Field Development Planning, and Project Management.
Areas of Expertise:
• Geological Project Scoping: Scoping of multidisciplinary reservoir geology projects aimed at deriving the best possible solution from a diverse range of available analytical techniques. Integrating sedimentological and petrographical analysis with petrophysics (including NMR core and log analysis), SCAL and CCA, borehole image analysis, chemo and biostratigraphy, organic and inorganic chemistry.
• Seismic Interperation: Routine interpretation of structure and seismic stratigraphy. Seismic attribute and facies analysis, and seismic geomorphology.
• Sedimentology and Structural Geology: Paleogeographic mapping and modelling. Prediction of depositional environments and geometries, and permeability architectures in the subsurface, by comparison with subsurface and outcrop analogues. Evaluation of fracture population orientations based on oriented core measurements and borehole images. Palaeocurrent analysis from oriented core and borehole images.
• Petrographical & Reservoir Quality Analysis: Modal analysis and grain size determinations and thin-section description of clastics and carbonates. Equipped with mobile petrological microscope and digital camera system, enabling petrographical analysis anywhere. Determination of the geological controls on reservoir quality and subsequent prediction of porosity and permeability, based on the integration of diverse datasets (sedimentological, petrographical, CCA, SCAL, BHI, NMR, conventional logs, etc). Evaluation of conventional wireline logs.
• Diagenetic Studies: Determination of paragenetic sequences and diagenetic histories based on integrated interpretation of a range of inorganic geochemical techniques, including fluid inclusions, stable isotopes, cathodoluminescence, SEM, XRD, including integration with burial histories and source-rock maturation histories.
• Petrel Mapping and Geocellular Modelling: Structural models, volumetrics, well-log upscaling, gridding, facies and petrophysical modelling. Bringing 25+ years of reservoir description to bear in the construction of geologically robust subsurface models.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Excellent course. The interactive group work enabled us to better visualise the subject matters.
Very useful tips/knowledge sharing which can be used in future jobs.
Manager (Geoscience), PCSB
A very good course that geoscientists should have it during their early career.
Geologist, JX Nippon
Provide the participants with a holistic view in conducting evaluation from Basin to Prospect to development not only on E & G part but also interdisciplinary approach.
Staff Geoscientist, PETRONAS
Very good course – integration.