About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This course will provide a comprehensive understanding of the design of circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boilers. The design of all CFB boiler components and equipment including furnace, cyclones, economizers, superheaters, reheaters, loop seals, expansion joints, refractory, and L-valves will be covered in detail. All potential operating problems and major operating problems, corrective actions and maintenance required for CFB boilers will be covered thoroughly. This course will focus on designing CFB boilers that have the highest efficiency, and maximum longevity and capacity factor. All the common problems encountered in CFB Boilers will be discussed in detail. This includes thermally induced failures, anchor system induced failures, water walls tube failures, NMEJ damages, clinker formation, refractory damages, APH tube chock-up, erosion and corrosion. The solutions to each of these problems will be presented. All repair and refurbishment methods, preventive and predictive maintenance required for CFB boilers will be covered in-depth.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Design: Gain a thorough understanding of the best design methods of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Design of Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Components and Systems: Learn all the techniques used to design CFB boiler equipment and systems including furnace, cyclones, economizers, superheaters, reheaters, loop seals, expansion joints, refractory, and L-valves.
- Design of Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler to Achieve Highest Efficiency, and Best Performance and Economics: Gain a thorough understanding of all the methods used to design CFB boilers having the highestefficiency, longevity and capacity factor as well as best economics.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Equipment: Learn about various equipment of circulating fluidized bed boilers including: furnaces, cyclones, economizers, superheaters, reheaters, ammonia injection systems, electrostatic precipitators, polishing dry scrubbers, fuel and sorbent feeding systems, bottom ash handling and extraction systems and materials.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Environmental Emissions: Learn about the monitoring and control of environmental emissions from circulating fluidized boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation and control systems of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Reliability and Testing: Increase your knowledge of predictive and preventive maintenance, reliability and testing of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the selection considerations and applications of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Maintenance: Learn all the maintenance activities required for circulating fluidized bed boilers, to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability, and longevity.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Refurbishment, and Life Extension Methods: Learn about life cycle cost, profitability, refurbishment, and life extension methods for all types of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Commissioning: Understand all the commissioning requirements of circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for circulating fluidized bed boilers.
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
- Basic or Foundation
The instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all the delegates gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
The VILT will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 1 x 10 minutes break per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises. Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities
included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
The execution of the VILT training was simple yet very informative. Every topics was discussed very well from basic knowledge up to the most complex topic of the training. I do recommend powerEDGE, especially the trainer, to other engineers working in a power generation company
Field Operator, South Luzon Thermal Energy Corporation
The VILT training is excellent! It has helped to enhance my knowledge
Project Engineer, South Luzon Thermal Energy Corporation
The VILT training is outstanding and there is a lot of things that we learnt in the course. Thank you very much!