About this Training Course
Almost 99% of the wells drilled in the field today are directional wells. This 5-day training course covers the principles and practices of directional drilling, calculations and planning for directional and horizontal wells. Specific problems associated with directional and horizontal drilling such as torque, drag, hole cleaning, logging and bottom hole assembly design, are included. The use of downhole motors, rotating and non-rotating steerable systems as well as the conventional rotary applications will be explained. Students will learn to design and evaluate a horizontal well based on the objectives for that well. Furthermore the students will get the basics of multilateral wells.
Additionally the participants will become familiar with tools and techniques used in surveying a directional or horizontal well. The last part of the course includes an exercise where the students have to drill a pre-planned well on a computer simulator. Students will have to make up the correct BHA, drill and steer the well according to plan, take surveys and plot the results for evaluation.
Major topic areas covered within this course include the following:
- Survey Calculations
- Dogleg Severity
- Planning a directional well
- Methods of deflecting a wellbore
- Horizontal and Multilateral drilling
- Survey Instruments
- Torque and drag
- Horizontal drilling with air
By attending this 5-day training course, participants will be able to:
- Make survey calculations
- Interpret measured and true vertical depth, polar and rectangular coordinates and vertical section
Interpret dogleg severity and problems associated with DLS
- Plan a two-dimensional directional and horizontal well
- Determine the best multi-lateral for a given application
- Determine declination, grid correction, coordinate systems
- Interpret torque and drag and determine the factors that affect T/D
- Cementing requirements for directional wells
- Drill a directional well with the assistance of a simulator
This course will benefit Drilling, Completion, Intervention, Well Site Leaders, Drill Site Manager, Well Site Manager and related Industry Personnel.