About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This 5 half-day Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course will discuss the analysis of different renewable technologies including LCOE, financing, resource analysis and pricing. The course will be hands-on where participants take turns sharing their screens and demonstrate how they can construct renewable analysis that incorporates a variety of economic and financing issues. The course places an emphasis on the practical techniques using current data.
- Incorporate storage and battery analysis in the analysis of renewable energy from an energy storage perspective and from an ancillary service point of view.
- Learn practical tools to analyze renewable energy including efficient tools to work with wind, hydro and solar data; creating flexible scenario and sensitivity analysis to evaluate resource risk, construction risk, O&M risk and debt structuring; developing techniques to resolve circular references related to funding debt and sculpting debt without copy and paste macros.
- Understand the implications of project finance features in the context of renewable energy (sculpting, debt funding, debt size, DSCR, DSRA, debt tenor, re-financing) on costs and equity returns from renewable energy.
- Develop efficient ways to quickly compute the levelized electricity cost of different technologies using carrying charge factors and alternative financial models.
- Work through resource assessments and compute probability of achieving different levels of production (P90, P75 etc.) using hands-on exercises for different types of projects in order to effectively review consulting studies.
- Create flexible and transparent financial models of renewable energy from A-Z that incorporate resource risk, financing structure, tax treatments, alternative pricing policies and other factors.
- Evaluate the economics of renewable energy (including ancillary services) in the context of merchant markets and review the structure of corporate PPA contracts.
- Corporate planning
- Investment analyst
- Corporate/project finance
- Business development
- Infrastructure advisory
- Heads of businesses
- Utility Companies (Power, IPP, etc.)
- Banks and finance companies
- Government ministries and departments
- Power equipment manufacturers
- International finance institutions
- Consultants in Renewable Energy
- Financial modellers
- Multilateral agencies
- Basic or Foundation
The VILT will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 x 10 minutes break per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Our key course expert provides financial and economic consulting services to a variety of clients, he teaches professional development courses in an assortment of modelling topics (project finance, M&A, and energy). He is passionate about teaching in Africa, South America, Asia and Europe. Many of the unique analytical concepts and modelling techniques he has developed have arisen from discussion with participants in his courses. He has taught customized courses for MIT’s Sloan Business School, Bank Paribas, Shell Oil, Society General, General Electric, HSBC, GDF Suez, Citibank, CIMB, Lind Lakers, Saudi Aramco and many other energy and industrial clients. His consulting activities include developing complex project finance, corporate and simulation models, providing expert testimony on financial and economic issues before energy regulatory agencies, and advisory services to support merger and acquisition projects.
Our key course expert has written a textbook titled Corporate and Project Finance Modelling, Theory and Practice published by Wiley Finance. The book introduces unique modelling techniques that address many complex issues that are not typically used by even the most experienced financial analysts. For example, it describes how to build user-defined functions to solve circular logic without cumbersome copy and paste macros; how to write function that derives the ratio of EV/EBITDA accounting for asset life, historical growth, taxes, return on investment, and cost of capital; and how to efficiently solve many project finance issues related to debt structuring. He is in the process of writing a second book that describes a series of valuation and analytical mistakes made in finance. This book uses many case studies from Harvard Business School that were thought to represent effective business strategies and later turned into valuation nightmares.
Over the course of his career our key course expert has been involved in formulating significant government policy related to electricity deregulation; he has prepared models and analyses for many clients around the world; he has evaluated energy purchasing decisions for many corporations; and, he has provided advice on corporate strategy. His projects include development of a biomass plant, analysis and advisory work for purchase of electricity generation, distribution and transmission assets by the City of Chicago, formulation of rate policy for major metro systems and street lighting networks, advocacy testimony on behalf of low income consumers, risk analysis for toll roads, and evaluation of solar and wind projects. He has constructed many advisory analyses for project finance and merger and acquisition transactions.
Lastly, our key course expert was formerly Vice President at the First National Bank of Chicago where he directed analysis of energy loans and also created financial modelling techniques used in advisory projects. He received an MBA specializing in econometrics (with honours) from the University of Chicago and a BSc in Finance from the University of Illinois (with highest university honours).
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.