About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
Hydrogen distribution is a challenging aspect of the hydrogen economy. The low volumetric energy density of high pressure gaseous and liquid hydrogen can make the distribution of large quantities of hydrogen over long distances an expensive affair. Hydrogen transmission and distribution in pipelines presents a cost-effective mode but questions are often asked about the possibility to re-purpose existing natural gas pipelines for this purpose.
This 2 half-day Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course will provide examples of major schemes that have been proposed for pipeline hydrogen transmission and distribution. It will discuss the testing work that has taken place to confirm whether hydrogen can indeed be admixed into natural gas and under what conditions existing infrastructure can be adapted for use with hydrogen. It will also provide an understanding of the main safety considerations and most appropriate technologies.
When hydrogen replaces natural gas for heating, the demand profile will be highly seasonal according to how warm or cold the weather is. Hydrogen production from hydroelectric power can also be highly seasonal according to how much rainfall or snowmelt is entering the river system. High-capacity storage is required to ensure cost-effective hydrogen production or utilization in seasonal situations. Among the options for high-capacity storage, underground hydrogen storage in man-made salt caverns is one of the most cost-effective solutions, where the underground geography permits.
In addition, this VILT course will explain some of the high-capacity storage options and in which situations each may be suitable. The seasonality of some production and use-cases will also be covered to underline the importance of high-capacity hydrogen storage. Integration of hydrogen storage with electricity grid management using hydrogen for power generation will also be looked at in the course. Future operators and owners of high-capacity underground hydrogen storage will also gain exposure to key techniques.
Upon completion of this VILT course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the value of hydrogen in a future decarbonized, integrated energy and power infrastructure
- Understand the interplay between energy and power storage and how hydrogen can link the two
- Be aware of major hydrogen pipelines and underground hydrogen storage facilities that exist worldwide today
- Explore major hydrogen pipeline and underground hydrogen storage project proposals
- Understand the importance of using hydrogen pipelines as an energy transmission mechanism in addition to the power grid and natural gas pipelines
- Find out the options for new hydrogen pipelines, repurposed hydrogen pipelines or admixing hydrogen into existing natural gas pipelines
- Learn about some of the safety issues related to hydrogen pipeline operation and material selection
- Uncover how underground hydrogen storage compares to other long and short duration power and energy storage techniques
- Discuss the different types of underground hydrogen storage and when each might be most applicable
- Determine the types of geology that are suitable for utility scale underground hydrogen storage and where these exist around the world
- Be aware of the balance of plant items required for hydrogen pipelines and underground hydrogen storage, such as gas compression
- Gain an overview of the main balance of plant equipment OEMs
- Review the techno-economic fundamentals of underground hydrogen storage in terms of the main OPEX and CAPEX considerations
- Project development teams who are investigating hydrogen infrastructure, grid balancing and long-term energy storage projects
- Investment and project finance professionals who are considering financial support for hydrogen infrastructure and LTES schemes
- Business development and engineering teams in EPC contractors who are working on hydrogen infrastructure projects, conceptual studies, or FEED studies
- Business development and engineering teams in power grid and pipeline distribution companies that are considering hydrogen and ammonia projects
- Oil and Gas professionals who are looking to diversify their operations and business towards the hydrogen economy
The VILT course will be delivered online in 2 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Course Duration: 2 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (8 hours in total).
Your expert course leader is the founder and managing director of an energy transition consultancy in Germany. His work focuses on decarbonisation and hydrogen is a fundamental pillar of his consulting practice. His hands-on hydrogen expertise extends to the full length of the value chain from production, purification, distribution, and storage through to utilisation.
With a background in industrial gases, including 27 years at BOC Gases, The BOC Group and Linde Gas, he has intimate knowledge of hydrogen from commercial, technical, operational and safety perspectives. He served 14 years as a global business leader in these FTSE100 and DAX30 companies and had the opportunity to interact with people, businesses, and operations around the world.
As a member of the H2 View and gasworld editorial advisory boards, he advises the direction of editorial content for these two leading international publications. His writing often covers sustainable hydrogen production technologies.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.