About this Training Course
This fast paced 3-day training course will address topics related to the world of energy with a purpose to provide a holistic perspective on the theme of investment decision making. The course modules will not specifically focus on one technique but an array of tools and methods to improve the investment decision making process.
The course will address a number of questions:
- What is a good investment decision?
- What are ways to work around human bias?
- Why is the discount rate not a good measure of risk?
- How does risk management relate to decision making?
- What are issues with the internal rate of return as a decision metric?
- How do we develop meaningful price scenarios?
- How do we structure an effective decision process?
- How do we get to grips with geopolitical uncertainties?
- When is Monte Carlo simulation a good idea?
- How do we factor in climate change?
- and many others
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand how decision science techniques can facilitate an orderly and structured decision-making process.
- Assess a cash flow analysis and understand decision metrics
- Deal with uncertainties and understand their implications for investment decisions.
- Use scenario planning to strategize and position investment opportunities in the broader macroeconomic and geopolitical environment.
This course will benefit FID business leaders, project managers, business development professionals, economists, financial analysts, risk managers, strategy analysts, new venture professionals and other project and investment committee staff. Participants will need to have qualified from university with a degree and have familiarity with the energy industry.
With has 35 years of experience in Shell, Your Expert Course Instructor has worked in various locations around the world within the Shell group of companies including Indonesia, Thailand, the United States and the Netherlands. During his last five years in Shell’s Corporate Strategy and Planning, well known for the Shell Scenarios, he was responsible for project evaluation assumptions that were applied across Shell, as well as for the methodologies in the analysis supporting investment decision making.
He successfully developed new approaches for project and portfolio risk analysis, implemented company wide, and the application of the Shell scenarios for strategic decision-making. In 2015, he left Shell and founded a company aiming to assist organisations with improving their capabilities in the analysis of uncertainty and risk at the project level as well as within the broader strategic context. He served as Treasurer of the Society of Decision Professionals and was a Distinguished Lecturer of the Society of Petroleum Engineers
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable