About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
Layer of protection analysis (LOPA) is a semi-quantitative tool for analysing and assessing risk on a process plant. It uses an order of magnitude and more detailed fractional factor techniques to evaluate the adequacy of existing or proposed layers of protection against known hazards. The more advanced form of LOPA, which goes further than the order of magnitude method, is fully explored and forms the basis of recommended practice in Europe. This allows a synergy with ‘bow-tie’ models for hazardous events and aims to produce the most realistic outcomes.
This VILT course covers basic and more advanced methodology of LOPA and the detailed stages of its application. Participants are shown how significant scenarios are categorised and tolerable frequencies assigned for identified hazardous events. They are shown how to assign risk categories and therefore determine the number of independent protection layers (IPLs) that should be in place. The specification and requirements for a protection layer to be accepted as an IPL are discussed. All the essential steps in this method are practised in workshops, including the use of software tools in LOPA.
By the end of this VILT, participants will be able to:
- Understand the methodology of LOPA
- Decide if a process needs a safety instrumented system (SIS) and what safety integrity level (SIL) it needs
- Define an independent protection layer (IPL)
- Implement a process to manage these systems through the lifecycle of an installation
- Lead a LOPA study
This VILT will benefit:
- Production engineers
- Process design engineers
- Project engineers
- Process programmers
- Instrument control designers
Your expert course leader combines a strong technical safety background, proven management and facilitation credentials and robust communication skills. He has leveraged the use of these assets to achieve success in the industry posts he has held to date in his career. He has recent experience as HAZOP, SIL, LOPA, HAZID and SIMOPs Leader for several leading Oil Industry company. In addition, he has held senior proposals posts in two major Oil Industry contractors (FW/KBR) for 5+ years, giving him a broad overview of design and operations requirements.
- Developed and successfully presented several IChemE accredited Effective HAZOP training course sessions since 2013.
- In addition, generated and delivered a PSM Fundamentals training course to RasGas in 2015/16.
- The training material for these courses are available as is, or to be customised for client’s specific circumstances.
- Written presented paper at Hazards AP 15 (Process Safety Conference): “What If We Tried Something Different?….Some Maverick Ideas to Improve Process Safety”
- Successfully facilitated more than 60 Process Safety Reviews (HAZOP, HAZID, SIL, LOPA, SIMOPS, PSA) for major Oil Industry clients
- Saved client around £0.5m on long term HAZOP close out costs by rigorously applying Core HAZOP principles
- Managed and motivated an FPSO project Constructability Review, thus compressing the project risk by 25% and consequently reducing the required funding guarantee by $50m
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Professional training materials, good learning environment and quality trainer/ guest speaker
Project Engineer, Hyflux
Provides a very good insight of how LOPA can be deployed and used
Application Engineer, Intergraph
The trainer is helpful and patient in explaining any questions raised, encouraging a conducive learning environment.
Senior Engineer, PCS
LOPA enhances safety study and provides a quick method to analyze the safety levels.