About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) course aims to equip participants with a solid and broad awareness of the refinery business. It will discuss the many aspects of operating the modern refinery as a business, including technical information on refining processes, the place of the refinery in the value chain, and future trends. It will also cover the planning and economic optimisation of refinery margin as well as the tools and techniques used in economic evaluations in refineries. Various suggestions for refinery optimisation will also be discussed.
Upon completion of this VILT course, participants will be able to:
- State the role of the main refining processes, operating characteristics, crude and products quality parameters, planning and economics.
- Describe the place of the refinery in the value chain from ‘well to wheels’, including petrochemicals.
- Recognise the need for performance monitoring, quality & assurance.
- Explain the challenges (including environmental), opportunities and future trends in the refining industry.
- Understand the importance of hydrocarbon mass balance & loss and how to mitigate loss.
- Understand and use the crude oil refining terminology.
- Understand the role of maintenance, reliability and turnarounds.
- Explain the advantage of an Oil-Chemicals interface.
This VILT course is intended for:
- Analysts working in a Supply environment or a refinery Planning department
- Linear Programming (LP) modellers.
- Employees of Private Equity firms, trading firms and other investors interested in the refinery business (for example, increasing awareness for due diligence purposes).
- Those involved with Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A).
- Non-refinery professionals in the Oil & Gas industry or related sectors such as consultants, contractors, suppliers and other inter-related companies interested in the crude oil refining business.
- Existing and newly-hired refinery personnel and current semi-technical personnel who require introductory training to acquire the broader perspective.
- Environmental professionals, insurance representatives, government officials, energy industry journalists/ reporters and other professionals who desire a better understanding of the subject matter.
This VILT course will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day.
Course Duration: 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (20 hours in total).
Your expert course leader holds a Masters and a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the Delft University of Technology. He previously worked 26 years for Shell. His last role in Shell was in the Management Team of Pernis Refinery in Rotterdam, with a secondment in Shell Internal Audit. His expertise lies in Manufacturing, Supply & Distribution, Research & Technical Services, Business Assurance (Quality & Auditing), Change Management and Continuous Improvement.
He has accumulated 15 years of refinery and petrochemicals engineering experience and worked 12 years in three refineries. He led multi-cultural teams of up to 13 highly educated (PhD-level) direct reports in The Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.
He has an assignment at the Delft University of Technology as Senior University Lecturer and runs a consultancy agency to support Production Processes Performance Improvement mainly in the refining and (petro) chemicals industry.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.