About this Training Course
Eliminating failures is a proven strategy that can improve plant reliability. With minimal investment, it can help to yield returns in excess of 500% in months, not years.
Root Cause Analysis is a systematic, evidence-driven process that helps you find the true underlying (and often hidden) causes that result in unwanted events. Minor failures do matter and can escalate out of control. It is, therefore, critical to:
- Select the problems and issues that matter the most (prioritisation)
- Utilise structured and proven approaches to explore potential causes and root causes (process)
- Apply the right techniques to seek the relevant evidence (tools)
- Know how to find and select the right solutions (action planning)
- Rigorously review and fine tune solutions employed (continuous improvement)
A number of case studies and exercises will be used to develop skills in using the techniques and in finding the root causes.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the business case for RCA implementation
- Learn how to solve problems systematically by using a proven structured approach
- Understand the various RCA tools and techniques and their respective benefits
- Learn to maximise on the benefits of an effective team environment and the required skills to facilitate the RCA process
- Learn how to validate what the cause is and what it isn’t
- Learn how to map an auditable trail from the problem system to the root causes
- Learn to identify critical-based solutions for any charted event
- Monitor and control the RCA process and ensure mitigating actions are delivered
- Recognise common barriers to RCA and apply techniques to overcome those barriers
- Understand Human Reliability and various techniques to improve / manage
- Implement measures to ensure gains are produced and established for continuous improvement
- Manage change and how to implement Reliability/Integrity improvement projects
This course is aimed at Managers, Engineers, Superintendents, Supervisors, Operators and Technicians from all disciplines – mechanical, inspection, electrical, instrument and specialist support staff (rotating machinery experts, distribution engineers, utility unit controllers, corrosion engineers, designers etc.).
The design of this course is such that all learning styles are catered for in a participative, friendly environment. This is a highly interactive course. Theory, techniques and principles are presented via lecture, video, and practical case studies, then reinforced with individual and syndicate exercises. It is our goal to ensure the subject matter is relevant to all and participants will be encouraged to share experiences and give their own personal insights into the subject matter. Questions and active participation is encouraged throughout particularly at the daily wrap up sessions. This provides opportunities for participants to discuss specific issues, and if possible, find appropriate solutions. Our goal is to maximise the benefit of this training for every participant. This is not just a technical process training course – the material also touches on the critical softer skills of teams, facilitation, human reliability and change management that are required to implement a successful RCA program.
Your expert course leader has enjoyed a 37-year career with Shell International in a variety of leadership roles predominantly in Turnaround, Maintenance, and Engineering Management before he left to pursue his interest in Turnaround and Maintenance Management consultancy. His previous positions in Shell included the following roles: Senior Maintenance Planning Manager and Turnaround Excellence Manager (Qatar Shell GTL) and Corporate Turnaround Excellence Manager at Brunei Shell Petroleum supporting BSP’s Off -Shore Exploration and On-Shore Production companies respectively. He has a wealth of experience working with organisations in reviewing and improving their Cultural Development and conducting Change Management.