About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
Eliminating failures is a proven strategy to improve plant reliability that – with minimal investment – can yield returns in excess of 500%, in months, not years. Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is a systematic, evidence-driven process that helps participants find the true underlying (and often hidden) causes that result in unwanted events. Minor failures matter, and can escalate out of control.
It is therefore critical to:
- Select the problems and issues that matter the most (prioritisation)
- Utilise structured and proven approaches to explore potential causes and root causes (process)
- Apply the right techniques to seek the relevant evidence (tools)
- Know how to find and select the right solutions (action planning)
- Rigorously review and fine tune solutions employed (continuous improvement)
A number of case studies and exercises will be used to develop the skills in using the techniques and finding the root causes
Upon completion of this VILT course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the business case for RCA implementation.
- Learn how to solve problems systematically by using a proven structured approach.
- Understand the various RCA tools and techniques and their respective benefits.
- Learn to maximize on the benefits of an effective team environment and the required skills to facilitate the RCA process.
- Learn how to validate what the cause is and what it isn’t.
- Learn how to Map an auditable trail from the problem system to the Root causes.
- Learn to identify critical-based solutions for a charted event.
- Monitor and control the RCA process and ensure mitigating actions are delivered.
- Recognize common barriers to RCA and apply techniques to overcome those barriers.
- Understand Human Reliability and various techniques to improve / manage.
- Implement measures to ensure gains are produced and established (continuous improvement).
- Manage Change and how to implement Reliability/Integrity improvement projects.
This VILT course will benefit managers, engineers, superintendents, supervisors, operators and technicians from all disciplines – mechanical, inspection, electrical, instrument and specialist support staff (rotating machinery experts, distribution engineers, utility unit controllers, corrosion engineers, designers etc.). Ideally, sponsoring companies should send participants in teams to work on real issues and build team and individual RCA competence and confidence.
The VILT course will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 1 break of 15 minutes per day.
Course Duration: 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (20 hours in total).
The design of this VILT course is such that all learning styles are catered for in a participative, friendly environment. Theory, techniques and principles are presented via lecture, video, and practical case studies, then reinforced with individual and syndicate exercises. It is the goal of the trainer to ensure the subject matter is relevant to all. Participants will have the opportunity to share experiences and give their own personal insight into the subject matter. Questions are encouraged throughout, particularly at the daily wrap up sessions. This provides opportunities for participants to discuss specific issues and if possible, find appropriate solutions. The goal of the VILT training is to maximize the benefit of this VILT training for every participant. This is not just a technical process training course – the material also touches on the critical softer skills of teams, facilitation, human reliability, and change management that are required to implement a successful RCA program.
Your expert course leader has enjoyed a 37-year career with Shell International in a variety of leadership roles predominantly in Turnaround, Maintenance and Engineering Management before he left in late 2017 to pursue his interest in Turnaround and Maintenance Management consultancy.
He has undertaken several Asset Management and Engineering positions within Shell Australia including the implementation and establishment of formal Reliability Studies including FMEA, RCA, RCM, Maintenance Planning and Turnaround Management programs at Geelong Refinery.
Additionally, he was appointed Shell’s Regional Turnaround Advisor within Australia and South East Asia supporting Shell Operating Companies throughout several Australasian and European sites. In more recent times, he had been engaged to implement and establish a formal Turnaround Management program within Brunei Shell Petroleum as well as becoming the appointed Regional Turnaround Management Subject Matter Expert (SME), TA Network and Governance & Assurance lead for Shell within the Shell Australasian, Russian Federation and Indian Sub-Continent OpCo community.
His career repertoire includes hands-on practitioner, supervisory, reliability, contracts and management roles and he holds several maintenance and engineering tertiary qualifications including an Associate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. He has presented at several Maintenance, Reliability, Asset Management & Turnaround forums and conferences.
Summary of Attributes
A natural and pragmatic leader with a wide range of skills and strategies for coaching and developing executives, professionals, teams, and groups (individually and collectively) in Asset Reliability, Change Management and organisational improvement. An innovator with the ability to make things happen. Able to identify opportunities for improvement, develop improvement initiatives and implement. A specialist in Sustainable Asset Reliability Culture Development. Recent assignments have focused on Asset Reliability, Change & Business Improvement and include:
- Asset Management Business Improvement
Member of the Business Improvement Implementation Team
Lead member of the Best in Class Asset Management Project
- Broad Reliability, Maintenance and Turnaround Preparation & Execution Management Experience & Training
Vast multi-cultural interpersonal and communication skills – desirable in facilitation and training for both groups and individuals
- Extensive Organisational and Change Management facilitation experience
- Asset Reliability & Sustainable Asset management
- Culture Development in the Energy, Petroleum and Gas sectors
- Best practice knowledge of the latest’s tools techniques and practices employed by pace setter organisations
Ability to work effectively with all levels: front line managers, departmental managers, senior executives and boards
Rotating and Static Equipment Maintenance and RCA/RRM/RBI Analysis
- Group Training and Facilitation
Formulating Strategies for Major Asset Management
- Team Development
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.