About this Training Course
Science & Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (SEA-AI) has the capability to reduce, curb and even prevent Climate Change. Given the fact that Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) can significantly contribute to the minimization of climate change, then CCS Analytics that incorporate SEA-AI to CCS is a vital technology for reducing and even preventing climate change. The main reason of positive and important contribution of AI to Climate Change has much to do with its engineering application that mainly uses reality and facts and avoids marketing, business, and political ideas. This 3-day training will focus on how to enhance your CCS strategies with the latest innovative technologies.
Artificial Intelligence is the new revolution of science and technology. The objective of this course is to:
- Examine the most up-to-date and accurate AI and Machine Learning technology
- How to use Artificial Intelligence to enhance CCS in order to positively impact climate change
- Discover the scientific and realities foundation of AI and Machine Learning and its true application within reservoir engineering
- Explore the engineering application of Artificial Intelligence
- Incorporate reservoir engineering application of AI & Machine Learning for CO2 Storage in geological formations
- Determine the best methods for carbon storage through AI-based reservoir simulation
This course is designed for but not limited to:
- Drilling engineers
- Operation managers
- Reservoir engineers
- Production engineers
- Planning managers
- Asset management
The training course is presented in an interactive workshop format that allows for discussion. The course will be delivered through analysis of case studies and running examples of problems.
Course Duration: 3 days in total (21 hours)
The training instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. Interaction verbally will be necessary to achieve the best learning outcome from the materials.
Course timings and breaks
0830 – Registration 0900 – Start of training 1030 – Morning break 1045 – Training recommences 1230 – Lunch break 1330 – Training recommences 1515 – Afternoon break 1530 – Training recommences 1700 – End of training
This course is limited to a maximum of 20 participants only.
This course is not available through Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) format.
Your expert course leader is a pioneer in the application of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the Exploration and Production industry. He is currently a Professor of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering at West Virginia University. He is the director of WVU-LEADS (Laboratory for Engineering Application of Data Science). He is a SPE Distinguished Lecturer (2007 and 2020) and has been featured four times as the Distinguished Author in SPE’s Journal of Petroleum Technology (JPT 2000 and 2005). Including more than 30 years of research and development in the petroleum engineering application of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, he has authored three books (Shale Analytics, Data Driven Reservoir Modeling, and Application of Data-Driven Analytics for the Geological Storage of CO2), more than 200 technical papers and carried out more than 60 projects for independents, NOCs and IOCs.
He is the founder of Petroleum Data-Driven Analytics, SPE’s Technical Section dedicated to AI and machine learning (2011). He has been honoured by the U.S. Secretary of Energy for his AI-based technical contribution in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon (Macondo) incident in the Gulf of Mexico (2011) and was a member of U.S. Secretary of Energy’s Technical Advisory Committee on Unconventional Resources in two administrations (2008-2014). He represented the United States in the International Standard Organization (ISO) on Carbon Capture and Storage technical committee (2014-2016).
Selected companies that have benefitted from his service:
- Hibiscus Petroleum
- Saudi Aramco
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Dragon Oil
- Total S.A.
- Abu Dhabi Company for Onshore Oil Operation – ADCO
- New York State Energy Research and Development
Highlighted Honours / Activities:
- Director of WVU-LEADS: West Virginia University Laboratory for Engineering Application of Data Science.
- Founder of SPE Petroleum Data-Driven Analytics Technical Section, 2011.
- Program director of SPE Petroleum Data-Driven Analytics Technical Section (2019- present).
- Recipient of U.S. Secretary of Energy’s Achievement Award for AI-based technical contribution to DOE’s.
- Member of U.S. Department of Energy’s “Unconventional Resources Technology Federal Advisory Committee”. Appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Energy as a Subject Matter Expert, in two administrations (2008-2014).
- Represented The Unites States in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for carbon dioxide capture, transportation, and geological storage (CCS) as a voting member of the US Technical Advisory Group. 2014-2016.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers Distinguished Lecturer, 2020-2021.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers Outstanding Associate Editor Award, 2008.
- Outstanding Professor in Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering at WVU: Academic years 2005-2006, 2003-2004, 1999-2000, 1995-1996, 1994-1995.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
It was really an amazing session with the facilitator on Artificial Intelligence.
Petroleum Data Analyst, CLI-TECH
Thanks to the trainer for walking us through the fundamentals of data analytics and its application in the energy industry.
Senior Reservoir Engineer, Chevron
Thank you for bringing us these amazing opportunities to continue our education on these cutting-edge topics that are changing the traditional way to model and analyze oil and gas reservoirs.