About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This 5 half-day Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course will provide the participants with an advanced understanding of international oil trading and price risk management.
The VILT course has been designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the following areas:
- International oil energy markets, trade flows and demand outlook
- Crude oil characteristics, valuation and refining processes
- Tanker shipping and freight economics
- Oil pricing and price reporting
- Physical oil trading and hedging / speculation using futures, swaps and options
- Negotiating oil supply contracts and oil storage deals
- Model trading strategies / rationales and arbitrage opportunities
Formal presentations will be underpinned with extensive exercises and simulations that will cover the global nature of markets and oil trading, current market conditions and the special characteristics of the Asian market.
By the end of this VILT course, the participants would have achieved the following learning objectives and outcomes:
- Gained an overview of the international oil and energy markets.
- Gained an understanding of crude oil, refining and oil products from a commercial and trading perspective.
- Understand tanker and freight economics.
- Understand oil pricing and price risk.
- Understand the principles of hedging and price risk management and which risk management tools to use in which situation.
- Understand the principles of oil supply contracts and negotiation.
- Experienced multiple examples of the commercial calculations and decision-making in oil trading and risk management.
The VILT course is designed for oil industry professionals with a minimum of 3 – 5 years of industry experience and who are looking to develop a more detailed understanding of Supply and Trading business and risk management. Participants will be expected to have some experience in oil trading and who would like to further hone their knowledge and skills in trading and risk management to develop their careers.
The approach of this VILT course has been tested successfully in the academic environment, the commercial environment of major and national trading companies and in a range of public courses delivered in many parts of the world.
The course aims to maximise interaction among the participants during the presentations which will be interspersed with focused exercises to be completed on an individual basis or in syndicates to reinforce the learning process. The course culminates with a trading simulation drawing directly on the skills that have been learnt in a competitive and lively team environment.
The course will be delivered by an expert course leader in oil trading and risk management who has previous career experience in the sector and will also include practical examples taken from his direct experience.
Your expert course leader is a senior downstream oil professional with over 30 years of experience, covering refining, trading, supply and commercial sales. He worked for 21 years at BP in a variety of commercial development and leadership roles in refining, trading and marketing. After BP, he performed senior commercial management and consulting roles at Argus Media, RPS Group and World Fuel Services.
His track record is in commercial development in European downstream fuels business, major inland supply deals, fuel supply chain development, and portfolio transformation / M&A. He has extensive recent knowledge of the Northern European fuels supply chain. His current consulting activity provides a competitive benchmarking and business review service for fuel marketing and distribution companies.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
Good overview. Trainer is knowledgeable with regards to the course content
Analyst, Macquarie Bank Limited
The trainer did a magnificent job
Market Analyst, Repsol Trading Singapore
The training materials were one of the best features of this course