About this training course
In an ideal electrical power network, electrical power is expected to be delivered with
- A purely sinusoidal voltage of constant nominal magnitude
- The three phase voltages at identical magnitudes and identical phase-phase angles, and
- The load currents aligned with the respective voltages – that is with purely active power load.
This is rarely the case in reality. Electrical power networks often experience problems with voltage magnitude fluctuations, harmonics, unbalance between the three phase voltages, and reactive power. Power Quality is an electrical engineering field which looks at causes, effects, and remedies associated with these issues.
Power quality studies aim to determine the effect the customer loads have on the supply grid, and to ensure that the customer load network connection does not negatively impact the grid network. The Power Quality Studies typically focus on Reactive power, Harmonics, Unbalance and Flicker. The power quality studies are therefore a critical part of the negotiations between the customer and the grid authority and are typically conducted whenever a new connection is established, or when an existing connection is augmented.
This training is intended to cover HV and MV with voltage levels from 11kV to 330kV.
By participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Comprehending High Voltage networks and their topologies
- Examining Power network components and how to model them for power quality studies
- Diving deeper into reactive power, harmonics, flicker, load and consequently Voltage unbalance
- Reviewing traditional and modern technologies for alleviating Power Quality issues, including Scott Transformer, Static VAR Compensator / STATCOM, Rail Power Conditioner and Static Frequency Converter
The course will greatly benefit the following groups but not limited to:
- Staff involved with connection negotiations
- Power network modelling engineers
- Power network planning engineers
- Power network asset engineers
- Project engineers and project managers
- Commissioning engineers
- Field technicians
- Basic or Foundation
The training instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught in their own organization.
Course Duration: 1 day in total (7 hours).
0830 – Registration 0900 – Start of training 1030 – Morning Break 1045 – Training recommences
1230 – Lunch Break 1330 – Training recommences 1515 – Evening break 1530 – Training recommences 1700 – End of Training
The maximum number of participants allowed for this training course is 25.
This course is also available through our Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) format.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
The trainer was very knowledgeable and an expert. I was able to refresh as well as learn new technologies and methodologies being practice in our field.
RPCD Senior Engineer, NGCP
Power Edge training was very informative. It helped me gain more knowledge about the field and help me understand more about the subject. The chosen lecturer was very qualified to talk given his experiences and knowledge. He was able to deliver the information effectively and answered all the questions.
Senior Engineer, NGCP
The training was very well taught. There was an exchange of thoughts and experiences on the practices of each individual that contributed to the added knowledge.