About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This VILT will allow participants to gain more practical and theoretical knowledge about Utility Commercial, Industrial & Community Energy Storage Systems (U/C&I/CESS) with a focus on Planning, Project Development and Value Stacking with current case studies of the various system types.
Participants in this course upon completion will be able to:
- Define & explain how Utility Commercial, Industrial & Community Energy Storage Systems (U/C&I/CESS) are planned
- Describe and identify Grid/Utility values of U/C&I/CES Systems
- Describe and identify Commercial & Industrial values of U/C&I/CES Systems
- Describe and identify Residential client values of U/C&I/CES Systems
- Identify conflicts between value streams
- Describe different case studies for:
- In front of the meter U/C&I/CES Systems
- Behind the meter U/C&I/CES Systems, and
- Microgrid U/C&I/CES Systems
- Describe financial benefits of U&CES systems
- Correctly understand ESS Aggregation and the roll of 3rd party Aggregators
- Explain project development and list a project’s participants
- Relate the Solar + Storage costs in USA and differences between Utility and C& I/client costs
- Explain financing options for U/C&I/CES Systems
- Demonstrate differences in methods of financing U/C&I/CES Systems
- Explain the assessment and viability of storage projects: System value vs. monetizable revenues of U/C&I/CES Systems
- Government policy makers
- Project developers and administrators
- University Professors and administrators
- Project managers
The VILT will be delivered online in 3 half-day sessions comprising 4.5 hours per day, with 2 x 10 minutes break per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Your first trainer is the CEO of Great Northern Solar and is a NABCEP certified Photovoltaic Installation Professional. He has been an instructor with the Midwest Renewable Energy Institute since 1993 Teaching advanced Photovoltaic (PV) design and installation and is an IREC Certified Master Trainer (TM) in Photovoltaic Technologies.
He was the primary curriculum developer for the MREI Photovoltaic courses at the Institutes inception. A strong advocate for clean energy production, he volunteers with the Midwest Renewable Energy Association, the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (board of directors member 2004-2014, Chair of the Nominations Committee-current) and with the Northern Futures Foundation. The trainer has been designing, specifying, installing and operating Battery based Solar Electric systems (PV) for over 30 years. He has lived “off-Grid” for over 26 years where he runs his business Great Northern Solar.
He has been training contractors, administrators and officials in the operation of PV systems including those employing storage for over 26 years. In the last 5 years he has been investigating and developing trainings for the application of energy storage in commercial and other large applications. With the development of Lithium Ion and other advanced battery technologies he has begun to consult and present trainings in battery design and deployment for the commercial market.
Your second trainer is passionate about renewable energy and enthusiastic about sustainable solutions through technology and innovation. After completing his undergraduate education at the University of Massachusetts, he entered technical sales of renewable energy products 2006 with a focus on off grid renewable energy projects around the world.
Several years later, while working for Kyocera he shifted focus to grid connected commercial and utility scale solar project development. The trainer joined Panasonic in 2016 and helped to launch two new product lines (high efficiency solar panels and lithium-ion stationary storage systems) and create a ground up sales channel for the Eco Solutions division.
In 2018, he joined the team at Stem to develop commercial and utility scale energy storage systems controlled by Stem’s Athena artificial intelligence platform. At present he is kicking off a new venture developing and acquiring solar plus storage projects in North America for a newly formed IPP, Aypa Power, backed by the Blackstone Group. With over fourteen years of experience in renewable energy sales and business development, he is excited to share his knowledge of solar and energy storage systems.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.