About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
Well engineers who are responsible for technically evaluating and authorizing programs for drilling or working over wells must have the required skills and competencies to safely design wells of varying nature. They also need to be able to confirm that well delivery and intervention programs generate intrinsic well control assurance. Such work programs must establish, verify, monitor and maintain suitable and sufficient barriers for the entire well lifecycle – from spud to abandonment. Well engineers must also be able to select a suitable drilling or workover rig, capable of safely performing the work within its operational envelope.
This 5 half-day Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course aims to further develop and assess the knowledge required to work on and eventually, authorize a well delivery program as deemed fit for purpose. It also addresses elements of well control that must be embedded into well design, well work programming and equipment selection.
This VILT course is intended for participants who already have a sound understanding of the principles of the design and/or delivery of wells and with more than 3 years of relevant industry experience.
By the end of this VILT course, participants will be able to:
- Feel confident to design and plan drilling and workover activities while considering geological risks, formation pressures/strengths, and any integrity or well control concerns.
- Monitor wells operations and ensure that they can and will remain within the accepted design envelope.
- Assess risks and then apply mitigation or recovery methods in cases where design envelopes are threatened.
Participants should be capable of assessing a drilling or workover program and then be able to answer the following key questions:
- Does the program delivery have a sound design and work plan that allows the well(s) to be drilled or worked over safely?
- Have we determined the appropriate kick tolerance for each open hole section and is it realistic for all drilling hazards that may be encountered?
- Have all drilling hazards been suitably assessed, and the associated risk mitigated to a level as low as reasonably practicable?
- Are there adequate, verifiable barriers in place throughout the operation and does everybody know their role and responsibility?
- And, as applicable, is the selected rig capable of implementing the work program?
The VILT course is intended for personnel directly or indirectly involved in the preparation, review or authorization of drilling and workover programs. This includes:
- Well engineers and drilling supervisors who are responsible for planning and executing drilling and workover operations.
- Contractor well engineers, rig managers and other senior drilling staff.
- Senior well engineers and rig superintendents who are responsible for managing the delivery of a project or well.
- Technical authority holders who are responsible for licensing drilling and workover operations from a regulatory perspective.
A satisfactory command of critical knowledge and skills is assured by a 1+ hour closed book assessment. This assessment has a mix of multiple-choice questions (MCQs), calculations and answers that must be written up. The exam is taken electronically. Participants are provided with a suitable formula sheet. The pass mark for issuing a certificate is 70% and participants who are not successful will be issued with a certificate of attendance instead.
The VILT course will be delivered online in 5 half-days consisting 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day.
Course Duration: 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (20 hours in total).
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.