About this training course
Artificial lift systems are an important part of production operations for the entire lifecycle of an asset. Often, oil and gas wells require artificial lift for most of the life cycle. This 5-day training course offers a thorough treatment of artificial lift techniques including design and operation for production optimization. With the increasing need to optimize dynamic production in highly constrained cost environments, opportunities and issues related to real-time measurements and optimization techniques needs to be discussed and understood. Artificial lift selection and life cycle analysis are covered. These concepts are discussed and reinforced using case studies, quizzing tools, and exercises with software. Participants solve examples and class problems throughout the course. Animations and videos reinforce the concepts under discussion.
Understanding of these important production concepts is a must have to exploit the existing assets profitably.
- Hands-on usage of SNAP Software to solve gas-lift exercises
- Discussion on digital oil field
- Machine learning applications in gas-lift optimization
After the completion of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the basics and advanced concepts of each form of artificial lift systems including application envelope, relative strengths, and weaknesses
- Easily recognize the different components from downhole to the surface and their basic structural and operational features
- Design and analyze different components using appropriate software tools
- Understand challenges facing artificial lift applications and the mitigation of these challenges during selection, design, and operation
- Learn about the role of digital oilfield tools and techniques and their applications in artificial lift and production optimization
- Learn about use cases of Machine learning and artificial intelligence in the artificial lift
This training course is suitable and will greatly benefit the following specific groups:
- Production, reservoir, completion, drilling and facilities engineers, analysts, and operators
- Anyone interested in learning about selection, design, analysis and optimum operation of artificial lift and related production systems will benefit from this course.
The training instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught in their own organization.
Course Duration: 5 days in total (35 hours).
0830 – Registration 0900 – Start of training 1030 – Morning Break 1045 – Training recommences 1230 – Lunch Break 1330 – Training recommences 1515 – Evening break 1530 – Training recommences 1700 – End of Training
The maximum number of participants allowed for this training course is 20.
This course is also available through our Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) format.
- Understanding of petroleum production concepts.
- Each participant needs a laptop/PC for solving class examples using software to be provided during class. Laptop/PC needs to have a current Windows operating system and at least 500 MB free disk space. Participants should have administrator rights to install software.
Your expert course leader has over 35 years’ work-experience in multiphase flow, artificial lift, real-time production optimization and software development/management. His current work is focused on a variety of use cases like failure prediction, virtual flow rate determination, wellhead integrity surveillance, corrosion, equipment maintenance, DTS/DAS interpretation. He has worked for national oil companies, majors, independents, and service providers globally. He has multiple patents and has delivered a multitude of industry presentations. Twice selected as an SPE distinguished lecturer, he also volunteers on SPE committees. He holds a Bachelor’s and Master’s in chemical engineering from the Gujarat University and IIT-Kanpur, India; and a Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Tulsa, USA.
Highlighted Work Experience:
- At Weatherford, consulted with clients as well as directed teams on digital oilfield solutions including LOWIS – a solution that was underneath the production operations of Chevron and Occidental Petroleum across the globe.
- Worked with and consulted on equipment’s like field controllers, VSDs, downhole permanent gauges, multiphase flow meters, fibre optics-based measurements.
- Shepherded an enterprise-class solution that is being deployed at a major oil and gas producer for production management including artificial lift optimization using real time data and deep-learning data analytics.
- Developed a workshop on digital oilfield approaches for production engineers.
- Principal inventor: “Smarter Slug Flow Conditioning and Control”
- Co-inventor: “Technique for Production Enhancement with Downhole Monitoring of Artificially Lifted Wells”
- Co-inventor: “Wellbore real-time monitoring and analysis of fracture contribution”
Worldwide Experience in Training / Seminar / Workshop Deliveries:
- Besides delivering several SPE webinars, ALRDC and SPE trainings globally, he has taught artificial lift at Texas Tech, Missouri S&T, Louisiana State, U of Southern California, and U of Houston.
- He has conducted seminars, bespoke trainings / workshops globally for practicing professionals:
- Companies: Basra Oil Company, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, EcoPetrol, Equinor, KOC, ONGC, LukOil, PDO, PDVSA, PEMEX, Petronas, Repsol, , Saudi Aramco, Shell, Sonatrech, QP, Tatneft, YPF, and others.
- Countries: USA, Algeria, Argentina, Bahrain, Brazil, Canada, China, Croatia, Congo, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Libya, Malaysia, Oman, Mexico, Norway, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, S Korea, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela.
- Virtual training provided for PetroEdge, ALRDC, School of Mines, Repsol, UEP-Pakistan, and others since pandemic.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
This training was very helpful. I learned a great deal and provided the right depth and background on each form of lift so that I could be familiar with many different forms as I encounter them throughout my career.
Production Engineer, Repsol
The course content was very interesting and he covered all lift methods and discussed topics/challenges relevant to horizontal wells at length.
Senior Researcher – Unconventionals, Statoil
One of the best instructors. Very knowledgeable and professional, kind, funny and very understandable. Thank you very much.