About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This course will provide a comprehensive understanding of all the best operation practices for a hydro-electric power plant. The design and operation of a hydro-electric power plant and all its equipment are covered in detail in this course. The main focus of the course is on the best practice guidelines to optimize the performance of every equipment in the hydro-electric power plant. This includes turbine, governing system, transformers, generator, instrumentation and control systems.
- Best Operation Practices for Hydro-Electric Power Plants: Gain a thorough understanding of the best operation practices for hydro-electric power plants
- Hydro-Electric Power Plant Design and Operation: Learn about hydro-electric power plant design and operation
- Optimization of Hydro-Electric Power Plant Performance to Meet International Standards: Learn all the methods used to allow hydro-electric power plants to meet international standards of performance
- Optimization of Hydro-Electric Power Plant Equipment Performance: Understand all the techniques used to optimize power plant equipment performance and allow them to meet international standards
- Optimize hydro-Electric Power Plant Management: Learn the methods used to optimize hydro-electric power plant Management
- Automation and Upgrades Required for a Hydro-Electric Power Plant: Gain a thorough understanding of all the automation and upgrades required for a hydro-electric power plant to improve its performance
- Hydro-Electric Power Plant Upgrade to a Computer-Based Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA): Understand how to upgrade a hydro-electric power plant to a computer-based SCADA
- Using Advanced Algorithms to Optimize the Generator Efficiency: Learn how to use advanced algorithms to optimize the generator efficiency
- Best Practices for Reliability, Monitoring and Maintenance of a Hydro-Electric Power plants: Understand all the methods used to improve the reliability, monitoring and maintenance of hydro-electric power plants
- Optimization of Hydro-Electric Power Plant Performance by Selecting Specific Operating Parameters: Learn how to optimize hydro-electric power plant performance by selecting the most efficient load, maximum sustainable load, fixed turbine flow, headwater/tailwater elevation control, load following/automatic generation control, condensing reactive power control, automatic load reduction and reinstatement for temperature considerations
- Hydro-Electric Equipment Diagnostics: Learn in detail all the required diagnostic techniques for all critical components of hydro-electric power plant equipment such as turbines, governing systems, transformers and generators
- Hydro-Electric Power Plant Equipment Testing: Understand in detail all the tests required for the various types of hydro-electric power plant equipment
- Hydro-Electric Power Plant Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting: Determine the best maintenance and troubleshooting activities required to minimize hydro-electric power plant equipment downtime and operating cost
- Hydro-Electric Power Plant Equipment Repair and Refurbishment: Obtain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to repair and refurbish all hydro-electric power plant equipment
- Efficiency, Reliability, and Longevity: Learn the various methods used to maximize the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of all types of hydro-electric power plant equipment
- Protective Systems: Obtain a detailed understanding of all protective systems required for different types of hydro-electric power plant equipment
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
The VILT will be delivered online in 5 sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.