About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This 4 half-day Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course presents the principles and best practices of portfolio management in the upstream (E&P) oil and gas industry. The VILT course is equally valuable for small independents, large integrated international companies and national oil companies.
The VILT course consists of presentations, case studies, illustrative practical exercises and syndicate discussions. Particular emphasis is given to pragmatic portfolio management approaches and solutions which can be implemented swiftly without recourse to major investments in planning and portfolio management software. The VILT course will draw on examples from your expert course leader’s 35+ years’ experience in the oil and gas industry as an explorationist, upstream vice-president and management consultant. The VILT course handout will comprise softcopy slides used in the presentation and a softcopy workbook for the exercises.
Participants will gain proficiency in portfolio management techniques, understand how and why to undertake this activity and be able to apply key concepts directly in the business of their teams / divisions.
The VILT course will be presented over 4 half-days, using Microsoft Teams or Zoom and a proprietary set of VILT tools. Participants will be asked to complete a pre course questionnaire (PCQ) addressing their objectives and experience, and attend a session to familiarise themselves with VILT tools before course commencement.
To present the tools, concepts and principles of portfolio management
- To define the quantitative metrics which are used to describe projects in a portfolio
- To understand the benefits of portfolio management at different stages of the upstream business: in strategy development, opportunity screening, business development, drilling prospects, conducting appraisal of discoveries and developing fields
- To put portfolio management in the organisational context by describing the role of the portfolio management team and examining how value assurance (quality control) is best conducted on portfolio data for projects and assets
- To demonstrate how portfolio management contributes to improved business performance
By the end of the VILT course, participants will understand:
- Key concepts and principles of portfolio management
- How to design a simple portfolio database and describe complex projects in a small number of objective metrics
- How to segment the portfolio into meaningful units
- How to use portfolio data in making business choices and decisions at the strategic and tactical levels
- The extent to which it is meaningful and reasonable to make comparisons across different portfolio segments
- How the portfolio management team can support the wider business in decision-making
This VILT course is specially designed for exploration and development geoscientists, E&P economists and finance staff, and E&P managers. Both technical and non-technical staff will benefit from the concepts presented.
Companies are encouraged to send participants from different functions and seniority levels to gain great benefits especially those which would like to implement the concepts presented in this VILT course.
The VILT course will be delivered online in 4 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day. The VILT course will be presented in an interactive workshop format that allows for discussion.
Course Duration: 4 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (16 hours in total).
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
This course enabled me to learn the essence of portfolio management and provided me with new ideas on how to effectively manage portfolio(s). The trainer was fully versed with the subject and his experience in the industry really helped.
The presenter used a simple life real example / analogue when explaining things. Easy to understand.
The trainer is an engaging and entertaining course leader with an undisputed depth of knowledge and experience
Exploration manager, BG Group
Thank you very much for a most instructive course and all the material you left with us. All the conversations I had with colleagues afterwards were positive and all wanting to discuss how we can adapt and incorporate some of the ‘best practices’ presented by you into our current structures and processes
Petroleum economist, Filed development planning division, Asian independent
The course provides a good understanding of risk and upstream strategy
Group Tax Manager, Upstream NOC
The course is very practical. Many things here can be implemented with tailoring depending on the context for our company