About this Training Course
This 5 full-day course will focus on all aspects of combined cycle power plants. All the equipment of combined cycle power plants such as compressors, gas and steam turbines, combustors, heat recovery steam generators, deaerators, condensers, lubricating systems, instrumentation, control systems, transformers, and generators will be explained in detail. The design, selection considerations, operation, maintenance, pay-back period, economics of combined cycles as well as emission limits, reliability, monitoring and governing systems will also be covered thoroughly. This course will also provide updated information related to all the significant improvements that have been made to combined cycle power generating plants during the last two decades.
Through sophisticated computer simulation, this course will illustrate how gas turbines and combined cycle plants perform under steady-state and transient conditions. In addition, the participants will learn how to use the computer simulation program which provides the following benefits:
- Allow the operator to extend the combined cycle power plant operating period by avoiding unnecessary outages and maintenance activities.
- Determine essential combined cycle power plant maintenance activities to reduce the duration of outages.
- Reap profit optimization of combined cycle power plants.
- Minimize the environmental emissions of combined cycle plants.
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Computer Simulation: Gain a thorough understanding of computer simulation of gas turbines and combined cycle power plants
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Equipment and Systems: Learn about all equipment and subsystems of the various types of combined cycle power generating plants such as compressors, combustors, gas turbines, heat recovery steam generators (HRSG), steam turbines, condensers, deaerators, feedwater heaters, transformers, generators and auxiliaries
- Combined Cycle Power Plants Economics: Examine the advantages, applications, performance and economics of combined cycle power plants
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Maintenance: Learn all the maintenance activities required for combined cycle power plants including maintenance and refurbishment of gas turbines, compressors, steam turbines, combustors, heat recovery steam generators (HRSG), transformers and generators to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability and longevity
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Environmental Emissions: Learn about the monitoring and control of environmental emissions
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation and control system of gas turbines and combined cycle power plants
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Reliability and Testing: Increase your knowledge of combined cycle power plant predictive and preventive maintenance, reliability and testing
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the selection considerations and applications of combined cycle power plants
- Combined Cycle Power Plant Profitability: Learn about the reliability, life cycle cost, profitability, refurbishment and life extension methods for all types of combined cycle power plants
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
- Basic or Foundation
Your specialist course leader relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
Each delegate will receive a copy of the following materials written by the instructor:
- “POWER GENERATION HANDBOOK, 2nd edition” published by McGraw-Hill in 2012, New York (800 pages)
- Twelve chapters from the “POWER PLANT EQUIPMENT OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE” published by McGraw-Hill in 2012, New York, New York (800 pages)
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories. While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment. Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures. He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
The quality of trainer appointed by powerEDGE is exceptional
Civil Engineer, Sarawak Energy Berhad
This course was excellently conducted. It surely enhanced the knowledge of the participants
Senior Manager, Sarawak Energy Berhad
Great course. Trainer is knowledgeable and able to bring us through based on our knowledge level