About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This course provides a comprehensive understanding of all the commissioning procedures for combined cycle power plants. The Commissioning Management System (CMS) of combined cycle power plants is covered in detail in this course. This includes all the commissioning procedures and documents, purpose of commissioning, responsibilities, system description, organization, working parties, test teams, documentation, testing and commissioning schedules, test reports, safety, plant certification, and plant completion report.
- Pre-commissioning Checks and Tests, Detailed Tests and Commissioning Procedures and Instructions for Every Equipment in Combined Cycle Power Plants: Gain a thorough understanding of all pre-commissioning checks and tests, and all commissioning procedures and instructions for every equipment in combined cycle power plants
- Commissioning Management System (CMS) of Combined Cycle Power Plants: Discover the benefits of the CMS of combined cycle power plants including all commissioning procedures and documents, purpose of commissioning, responsibilities, system description, organization, working parties, test teams, documentation, testing and commissioning schedules, test reports, safety, plant certification, and plant completion report
- Commissioning Procedures and Instructions for Heat Recovery Steam Generators, Air Blow and Steam Blow of Steam and Gas Piping in Combined Cycle Power Plants: Learn about the commissioning procedures and instructions for heat recovery steam generators, chemical cleaning of heat recovery steam generators, air blow and gas blow of steam and gas piping in combined cycle power plants, safety valve setting and soot blowers
- Commissioning Procedures and Instructions for Gas Turbines and Steam Turbines: Gain a thorough understanding of all the commissioning procedures and instructions for gas and steam turbines and auxiliaries including acid cleaning of oil pipelines, lubrication and governing system (oil flushing and hydraulic testing), jacking oil system, governing system, regenerative system, barring gear, vacuum tightness test, first rolling of turbine and data logging
- Commissioning Procedures and Instructions for Generator and Auxiliaries: Discover all the commissioning procedures and instructions for generator and auxiliaries including generator, seal oil system, hydrogen gas system, stator water system, rolling and start-up of generators
- Commissioning Procedures and Instructions for Electrical Equipment: Learn about all the commissioning procedures and instructions for electrical equipment including switchyard equipment, switchgear, transformers and motors
- Operational Testing, Performance Testing, Heat Rate Testing, Emission Testing of Combine Cycle Power Plants: Gain a thorough understanding of operational testing, first fire, generator synchronization, performance testing, heat rate testing, emission testing, contract testing, CO2 concentration tests, electrical full-load rejection test, duct burner testing, partial load stability test, and reliability test of combined cycle power plants
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
The VILT will be delivered online in 5 sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
The instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all the delegates gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
The trainer is very experienced and knowledgeable. I got a lot of knowledge which can be applied to work. Every engineer should take this training.
Engineer, PT PJB Services
The programme is useful and all discipline are covered to get overall knowledge.