About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) is an overview of well design, construction, verification, operation, intervention, optimisation and eventual P&A.
Session 1 – Deepwater Completion Overview
Introduction and the basics: A brief introduction to what the course will cover and the methods and media that will be utilised over the next 8 sessions.
- Introduction to the completion process focusing on the Completion Basis of Design (BOD), the methods & tools (Prosper/Modelling) how to design, what to design, flow-rate.
- An overview of the field life cycle: water cut, declining reservoir pressures, hazards (scale, corrosive fluids). Conceptual Designs will include TSA.
- Overview of subsea development type (satellites, daisy chain, integrated template, cluster), including videos.
Session 2 – Lower Completion (sometimes referred to as the Sandface Completion)
- When considering the completion Fluid System it can be divided into two main groups:
- Well Bore Clean Out
- Suitable Fluid for Life of Well Considerations
- Sand Control Methods
- Selection of Optimum Equipment
- Formation Damage – How to Minimise – How to repair
- Connecting to the Reservoir (Frac, Perforation, Stimulation)
Session 3 – Upper Completion
- Overview of the various Packers & Setting mechanisms, Downhole Flow Devices (Smart Wells), Downhole Monitoring Equipment (PDHG, DTS)
- Chemical Injection (for Flow Assurance v Corrosion Protection), Subsurface Safety Valves Videos on Packers & DHSV
- Explanation of various, wellhead, XMT and BOP interfaces
Session 4 – Upper Completion continuation
- Xmas Trees & Wellheads (Horizontal v Vertical, Pros & Cons)
- Artificial Lift
Session 5 – Subsurface: Upper Completion
- Complete the Well On Paper (CWOP)
- Barrier Philosophy (Installation, Verification, Phases)
- Interventions During Well Construction – Consider Contingencies , Interventions Post Construction, Non-Intrusive Interventions (Chemical/Acid treatments)
Session 6 – Operating & Producing a Well
- Operating & Producing the well, Unloading the well, Wellbore Clean Up, Temporary Well Test Package
- Flow Assurance & Well Performance, Hazards (Scale, Asphaltenes, Hydrates) and understanding the potential problems and indications
- Well Integrity & Reservoir Management, understanding TAP & SCP and suitable mitigations, as well as maximising production and Ultimate Recovery
Session 7 – Subsea Artificial Lift (boosting), Well Kickoff & General Deepwater Risks & Timings
- General overview of Subsea artificial lift/boosting (riser base gas lift v MPP)
- Well Unloading processes, including shutdowns & restarts of production and the key focus areas.
- Additional risks associated with Deepwater Wells such as Equipment Failures, Reservoir Issues as well as an overview of the main timing differences between Platform & Subsea Wells.
Session 8 – Overview of P&A
- Considerations for P&A from Initial Design
- Current Legislation and interpretation of the same
- Overview of various methods of Subsea Abandonments
Session 9 – Team Exercise, Course Summary and Wrap up
Best Feature of the VILT:
- The introduction, the completion and the production sessions.
- Recording and stimulation exercises.
- The interactive experience between participants and trainer.
- Relevant experience and case histories for deep water application.
- Centralized file sharing. All discussion point and material recorded can be referred back anytime.
- Short breaks in between sessions
- Group activities
Gordon Duncan has over 40 years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry. During that time, he has worked exclusively in well intervention and completions. After a number of years working for intervention service companies (completions, slickline & workovers), he joined Shell as a well service supervisor. He was responsible for the day-to-day supervision of all well intervention work on Shell’s Persian/Arabian Gulf platforms. This included completion running, coil tubing, e-line, slickline, hydraulic workovers, well testing and stimulation operations. An office-based role as a senior well engineer followed.
He was responsible for planning, programming and organising of all the well engineering and intervention work on a number of fields in the Middle East. He had a brief spell as a Site Representative for Santos in Australia before joining Petro-Canada as Completions Superintendent in Syria, then moved to Australia as Completions Operations Superintendent for Santos, before returning to Shell as Field Supervisor Completions and Well Interventions in Iraq where he carried out the first ever formal abandonment of a well in the Majnoon Field. While working on rotation, Gordon regularly taught Completion Practices, Well Intervention, Well Integrity and Reporting & Planning courses all over the world. In 2014, he started to focus 100% on training and became the Technical Director for PetroEDGE.
Since commencing delivering training courses in 2008, Gordon has taught over 300 courses in 31 cities in 16 countries to in excess of 3,500 participants.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Comprehensive details with lots of experience sharing by the instructor. Engaging sessions with online tools.
Production Technologist, PETRONAS
Excellent job for the team in preparing the whole training program with excellence & experienced trainer.
Production Chemist, PETRONAS
I'm really satisfied with the training provided and would suggest anyone who are currently in Deepwater project to join.
Asset Manager, PETRONAS
I like the way that PetroEdge organize and prepare for training.
Staff Production Technology, PETRONAS
Excellent training from PETROEDGE. Some industrial examples shared in the course materials with additional videos helped me appreciate topics discussed. Daily team exercises are also one of the good parts of the training that recapped learnings of the day.
Senior PT, PETRONAS
Good course materials & very experienced instructor to provide significant insight to Deepwater completion & intervention.