This Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) aims at improving the conceptual geological understanding behind predicting presence and quality distribution of potential reservoirs, starting from seismic and sequence stratigraphic principles. The training material is derived from a variety of geological settings and comprises a mix of petroleum geology case histories and textbook material including seismic, log, core and outcrop data. The VILT focuses on predicting reservoir presence and reservoir effectivity.
*Training will be delivered in 3.5 hours per day with 2 breaks lasting 10 minutes each
By attending this VILT, participants will be able to acquire the following:
- Key concepts of seismic / sequence stratigraphy
- Sound depositional geology concept knowledge underpinning the evaluation of reservoir distribution and effectivity
- Increased evaluation skills when assessing gross reservoir and reservoir quality parameters, based on the analysis of seismic, log, core and outcrop
- Knowledge of the interplay between structural deformation and depositional architecture in clastic reservoir settings
- Knowledge on how to make a fit for purpose reservoir correlation while avoiding common pitfalls
This VILT targets Explorationists and Petroleum Engineers working on play-based exploration and prospect generation or maturation projects as well as near-field exploration or appraisal.
- This VILT makes use of live online interfaces.
- The learning content is captured in shared presentation and exercise data such as seismic, log, core, outcrop and satellite images.
- The method of teaching consists of a mix of lectures and interactive exercises, while stimulating individual, team and plenary discussion.
- After Session 1, the rest of the sessions will start with a recap and some informal quiz questions.
- Regular home assignments provide participants with the opportunity to deepen / broaden the learning of the live sessions.
- The Instructor is available for coaching and answering questions via email outside the live session hours.
Your course leader has 38 years of experience as Exploration Geologist for Shell globally, with field experience in Egypt, NW Borneo, MENA, China, Madagascar, North Sea, Oman and The Netherlands (Shell EP Research and Training Centre in Rijswijk). He has strong evaluation and project lead skills in Play-based Exploration, Prospect Maturation, Opportunity Screening and NFE / Appraisal disciplines. He developed key geoscience skills in Seismic and Sequence Stratigraphy as well as Reservoir Characterization, including sedimentology and diagenesis. He has extensive supervisory, teaching, and coaching experience as well as a strong interest in Geoscience (Depositional Systems, Regional and Reservoir Geology) and Petroleum Geology Learning.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
“I liked the training technique used to introduce depositional systems and both their log and seismic signatures, combined with discussions on modern environments and doing exercises.”
"The course is the best I have attended in understanding basin architecture using depositional environmental models, seismic and well data"
“An excellent course and well presented. Provided a practical grasp of the sequence stratigraphic concepts and skills to understand depositional systems and apply in hydrocarbon exploration.”