About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This intermediate-level Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) will focus on problem-solving using real-world data in a series of Excel workbooks. The data will be used to determine lithology, porosity, permeability and saturations, using a variety of different analytical and modelling methods. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the importance of calibration, integration and validation of the results of each method.
It is important to become familiar with all the different analytical approaches available (cores, logs, tests, seismic) and consider all the possibilities, enabling the interpreter to make a sound judgement as to the accuracy and validity of the analytical results they achieve.
The technical knowledge required to solve the problems will be provided through a series of short thematic presentations and discussions, which will support the workbook-based exercises.
One critical element of the formation evaluation and reservoir characterisation process is to be able to tie the rock properties to depositional models and be able to conceptualise the geometry and connectivity of flow units. It is for this reason that we have included the Virtual Reality field work, allowing participants to make relevant field observations of an actual high-resolution outcrop, understand processes and draw conclusions on likely environment of deposition and reservoir properties.
The VILT will be delivered online in 10 sessions consisting 3.5 hours per day (GMT+8 Malaysia Time), with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day.
- Understand the geological controls on rock properties and how to relate them to geological processes and models.
- Become familiar with the laboratory methods of measurement of rock properties in core and their limitations and uncertainties.
- Be able to determine lithology, porosity, permeability and water saturation from integrated conventional logs and core analysis.
- Understand how flow properties can be characterised using various petrophysical rock typing methods and how these rock types can be compared with production and test data.
- Become familiar with the potential of advanced logging and seismic inversion techniques that enable us to extend our reservoir characterisation between wells.
Early career geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists and reservoir engineers who need to better understand how rocks, logs, test data and seismic analysis should be better integrated, and how their models should be tied to the geological properties of the rocks.
Your expert course leader has worked in many different basinal settings and plays, contributing to reservoir, source and seal characterisation projects in conventional and unconventional, clastic and carbonate reservoirs. He has gained over 30 years of experience in various exploration projects in the O&G industry. He is currently an independent consultant and trainer.
He has combined experience in consulting and training with the following background in:
- Practical & Consulting – he was with Badley Ahston and Associates, (UK), where he worked on a wide range of reservoir problems, from exploration to production, for clients such as BP, Shell, Amerada Hess, PDO, etc. As an independent consultant, he has also been involved with various field projects as well as development of training programs internationally.
- Training Delivery – He has been in training, mentoring and development, with experience in creation and presentation of classroom and field-based industry courses including: Basin Analysis, Play Fairway Analysis, Prospect Evaluation, Seismic Sequence Stratigraphy, Carbonate and Clastic Reservoir Geology, Reservoir Quality Analysis, Static Reservoir Modelling, Wireline Log Interpretation for Geologists, Formation Evaluation, Field Development Planning, and Project Management.
Areas of Expertise:
- Geological Project Scoping: Scoping of multidisciplinary reservoir geology projects aimed at deriving the best possible solution from a diverse range of available analytical techniques. Integrating sedimentological and petrographical analysis with petrophysics (including NMR core and log analysis), SCAL and CCA, borehole image analysis, chemo and biostratigraphy, organic and inorganic chemistry.
- Seismic Interpretation: Routine interpretation of structure and seismic stratigraphy. Seismic attribute and facies analysis, and seismic geomorphology.
- Sedimentology and Structural Geology: Paleogeographic mapping and modelling. Prediction of depositional environments and geometries, and permeability architectures in the subsurface, by comparison with subsurface and outcrop analogues. Evaluation of fracture population orientations based on oriented core measurements and borehole images. Palaeocurrent analysis from oriented core and borehole images.
- Petrographical & Reservoir Quality Analysis: Modal analysis and grain size determinations and thin-section description of clastics and carbonates. Equipped with mobile petrological microscope and digital camera system, enabling petrographical analysis anywhere. Determination of the geological controls on reservoir quality and subsequent prediction of porosity and permeability, based on integration of diverse datasets (sedimentological, petrographical, CCA, SCAL, BHI, NMR, conventional logs etc). Evaluation of conventional wireline logs.
- Diagenetic Studies: Determination of paragenetic sequences and diagenetic histories based on integrated interpretation of a range of inorganic geochemical techniques, including fluid inclusions, stable isotopes, cathodoluminescence, SEM, XRD, including integration with burial histories and source-rock maturation histories.
- Petrel Mapping and Geocellular Modelling: Structural models, volumetrics, well-log upscaling, gridding, facies and petrophysical modelling. Bringing 25+ years of reservoir description to bear in the construction of geologically robust subsurface models.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Excellent course. The interactive group work enabled us to better visualise the subject matters.
Very good course that geoscientist should have it during their early career.
Geologist, JX Nippon
Provide the participants with holistic view in conducting evaluation from Basin to Prospect to development not only on E & G part but also interdisciplinary approach.
Staff Geoscientist, PETRONAS
Very good course – integration.