About this training course
This 5 full-day course provides a comprehensive understanding of the inspection, diagnostic testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, overhaul and refurbishment of all steam and gas turbines. This course will focus on maximizing the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of this equipment by providing an understanding of the common problems and repair techniques, preventive and predictive maintenance of all steam and gas turbines.
This course is a MUST for anyone who is involved in diagnostic testing, troubleshooting, or maintenance of steam and gas turbines because it covers the various maintenance strategies, troubleshooting techniques, and the latest testing and refurbishment methods of all steam and gas turbines. The course provides also guidelines and rules that ensure successful refurbishment of all types of steam and gas turbines. In addition, this course will cover in detail advanced fault detection techniques, critical components and all preventive and predictive maintenance methods of steam and gas turbines in order to increase their reliability and reduce their operation and maintenance cost.
This course will provide the following information for all types of steam and gas turbines:
- Diagnostic Testing Techniques
- Troubleshooting Methods
- Latest Maintenance Strategies
- Modern Refurbishment Methods
- Enclosures and Sealing Arrangements
- Codes and Standards
- Common Operational Problems
- All Predictive and Preventive Maintenance Methods
- Performance Surveillance Methods
- Equipment Maintenance: Gain a thorough understanding of the latest maintenance strategies of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Diagnostics and Inspection: Learn in detail all the diagnostic techniques and inspections required for critical components of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Testing: Understand thoroughly all the tests required for the various types of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Troubleshooting: Determine all the troubleshooting activities required to minimize the downtime and operating cost of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Repair and Refurbishment: Gain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to repair and refurbish steam and gas turbines
- Efficiency, Reliability, and Longevity: Learn the various methods used to maximize the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Performance Surveillance: Gain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to perform performance surveillance on steam and gas turbines
- Design Features: Understand all the design features that improve the efficiency and reliability of steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Enclosures and Sealing Methods: Learn about the various types of enclosures and sealing arrangements used for steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Commissioning: Understand all the commissioning requirements for steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for steam and gas turbines
- Equipment Causes and Modes of Failure: Understand the causes and modes of failure of steam and gas turbines
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Your specialist course leader relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
Each delegate will have access to the following materials written by the instructor:
- Excerpt in digital format of the relevant chapters from the “POWER PLANT EQUIPMENT OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE” published by McGraw-Hill in 2012 (800 pages) – supplementary (read only)
- Excerpt in digital format of the relevant chapters from the “POWER GENERATION HANDBOOK” second edition, published by McGraw-Hill in 2011 (800 pages) – supplementary (read only)
- Steam and Gas Turbines Maintenance Manual (300 pages)
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories. While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment. Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures. He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable