About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course will begin with a presentation of topics to familiarise Process and Instrumentation Engineers with procedures and practices involved in the choice of sensors related to the measurement of temperature, pressure, level and flow in relation to single-phase flows. It will provide guidance on the optimum commercially available devices through a detailed comparison of their relative merits. At the heart of the VILT course is sensor calibration which is a crucial element for these topics.
The VILT course will also examine the various types of flow control valve, including Globe, Slide, Needle, Eccentric plug and Ball valves and their characteristics in industrial application, while focusing on the problems of Cavitation and Flashing and methods to minimise or eradicate these issues. With the use of examples, industry case studies and a wide range of videos, the VILT course will also cover all aspects of proportional (P), derivative (D) and integral (I) control. In particular, it will address the advantages and disadvantages of PI and PID control. It will also describe Cascade, Feed forward, Split Range, Override and Ratio Control techniques.
By attending this VILT course, participants will acquire the following knowledge and skills:
- Apply an in-depth knowledge to the measurement of temperature, pressure, level and flow as well as to the fluid mechanics of pipe flows
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of the major flowmeter types including the differential pressure, rotary positive displacement, rotary-inferential, electromagnetic, ultrasonic and Coriolis mass flowmeters to determine the optimum choice for a given application
- Make a considered judgement of the choice of fluid level measurement devices
- Understand the various types of flow calibration, metering systems and provers
- Carry out tank measurement and tank calibration methods and to calculate net sellable quantities
- Discuss valve characteristics & trim selection and illustrate the process of control valve sizing
- Explain the terms Open and Closed loop
- Define Process Variable, Measured Variable, Set Point and Error
- Define Direct and Reverse controller actions
- Explain the terms Process Lag, Measurement Lag, Transmission Lag, and Response Lag and their effect on controllability
- Explain ON/ OFF Control and the inherent disadvantages
- Explain Proportional Control, Offset, Gain and Proportional Band and the advantages and disadvantages of Proportional only control
- Explain the fundamentals and operation principles of Integral (I) Action and the disadvantages of proportional plus integral control
- Explain the fundamentals and operation principles of Derivative (D) Action in conjunction with P action
- Describe the operating principles of a PID Controller and explain the applications and advantages of PID control
- Describe Cascade, Forward, Split Range and Ratio Control operation principles
This VILT course will benefit instrumentation, inspection, control, custody metering and process engineers and other technical staff. It is also suitable for piping engineers, pipelines engineers, mechanical engineers, operations engineers, maintenance engineers, plant/field supervisors and foremen and loss control coordinators.
- Basic or Foundation
The VILT course will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day.
Course Duration: 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (20 hours in total).
Your expert course leader is a Senior Mechanical & Instrumentation Engineer (UK, B. Sc., M.Eng., Ph D) with over 45 years of industrial experience in Process Control & Instrumentation, Pumps, Compressors, Turbines and Control Valve Technology. He is currently a Senior Independent Consultant to various petrochemical industries in the UK, USA, Oman, Kuwait and KSA where he provides consultancy services on both the application and operational constraints of process equipment in the oil & gas industries.
During his early career, he held key positions in Rolls Royce (UK) where he was involved in the design of turbine blading for jet engines, subject to pre-specified distributions of pressure. During this period and since, he has also been closely involved in various aspects of Turbomachinery, Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics where he has become a recognised authority in these areas.
Later, he joined the academic staff of University of Liverpool in the UK as a Professor in Mechanical Engineering Courses. A substantial part of his work has been concerned with detailed aspects of Flowmetering – both of single & multiphase flows. He has supervised doctoral research students in this area in collaboration with various European flowmeter manufacturers.
He joined Haward Technology Middle East in 2002 and was later appointed as European Manager (a post which has since lapsed) and has delivered over 150 training courses in Flowmeasurement (single- and multi-phase), Control, Heat Exchangers, Pumps, Turbines, Compressors, Valve and Valve Selection as well as other topics throughout the UK, USA, Oman and Kuwait. During the last two years, he has delivered courses with other training companies operating in the Far and Middle East.
He has published about 150 papers in various Engineering Journals and International Conferences and has contributed to textbooks on the topics listed above.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
Good Presentation at limited time.
I would definitely be using what I learnt in my day to day activities and improve the system.
The programme is very well put together and I’m glad I now have access to these informative materials on subject that’s very relevant to my line of work.