About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
This VILT will cover all aspects of ultra supercritical steam power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power plants. These plants have achieved a net electrical efficiency of 50%. This efficiency is significantly higher than the efficiency of conventional power plants which is around 33%. This indicates that ultra supercritical power plants burn 50% less fuel than conventional power plants to produce the same amount of power. The ultra supercritical power plants burn coal and biomass. The environmental emissions of these plants are significantly lower than conventional power plants. Some ultra supercritical power plants employ carbon capture technology. This makes them more environmentally friendly than any other type of power plants. They also have higher reliability and lower capital, operation and maintenance cost than conventional power plants. Large number of ultra supercritical power plants are being built around the world today. China will be installing more than 100,000 MW of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power plants during this decade. Several countries around the world have embarked on a program to replace their conventional coal power plants with ultra supercritical power plants due to their high efficiency, and reliability and low capital, operation and maintenance cost. Ultra supercritical power plants provide significant economical and environmental advantage over any other type of conventional power plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Equipment: Learn about various ultra supercritical power plant equipment including: steam turbines, furnace, burners, boilers, economizers, superheaters, reheaters, valves, emission control equipment, governing systems, deaerators, feed water heaters and auxiliaries.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plants Economics: Examine the advantages, applications, performance and economics of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Maintenance: Learn all common problems and solutions of ultra supercritical power plants and all maintenance activities required for ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability, and longevity.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Environmental Emissions: Learn about the monitoring and control ofenvironmental emissions from ultra supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plants
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation and control systems of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Reliability and Testing: Increase your knowledge of ultra
supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plant predictive and preventive maintenance, reliability and testing.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Design, Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the design, selection considerations and applications of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Profitability: Learn about the reliability, life cycle cost, profitability, refurbishment, and life extension methods for all types of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
The VILT will be delivered online in 4 sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day, including time for lectures, discussion, quizzes and short classroom exercises.
Additionally, some self-study will be requested. Participants are invited but not obliged to bring a short presentation (10 mins max) on a practical problem they encountered in their work. This will then be explained and discussed during the VILT. A short test or quiz will be held at the end the course.
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.