About this Training Course
Deepwater Drilling Operations are generally defined as taking place in water depth in excess of 1,000 ft (330 m). These conditions represent a challenging and rapidly growing operating environment in many areas of the world. With increasing depth below the mud-line, many of these wells are also High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) wells.
New build rigs as well as upgrades continue to leave shipyards to service this growing market while equipment manufacturers and service providers continue to invest heavily in associated technological innovation.
With the cost of running a deepwater drilling operation running to well in excess of $1 million a day, it is critical that a high level of competency exists among all personnel associated with the delivery of a deepwater well. This can prove a challenging objective in a rapidly growing workforce – for Operators, Drilling Contractors and Service Companies alike.
This 5-day course provides participants with a wealth of practical and operationally focused knowledge. It builds critical skills in well delivery with an emphasis on the operational aspects of well delivery in deepwater. The course addresses:
- Operational Planning
- Rig Operations
- Performance Optimisation
- High Reliability Drilling Practices
- Deepwater Well Control
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the differences in pore pressure and formation strength characteristics associated with deepwater environments.
- Explain and describe the challenges of well control in deepwater environments from pressure prediction, detection and well control procedures.
- Recognise the operational challenges associated with shallow water flow and shallow gas in deepwater.
- Understand the different classes of DP vessel and how they can mitigate the risks associated with “Drive Off”.
- Explain equipment requirements, roles and responsibilities associated with Emergency Disconnect systems.
- Understand the differences in well design between Deepwater and conventional wells and how technologies such as expandable tubulars, Surface BOP systems, Managed Pressure Drilling and Riserless Mud Recovery can help to close the gap.
- Explain the impact of large temperature gradients on casing loads including trapped annular pressures and techniques for mitigating trapped annular pressure.
- Identify rig equipment critical to deepwater well delivery and select rigs suitable for deepwater drilling operations.
- Explain how ballooning / wellbore breathing can be identified and managed.
- Describe what is meant by fingerprinting and develop rig procedures to use fingerprinting effectively.
- Explain the importance of Cement Placement for shallow water flow control.
- Describe what hydrates are, where they can form, what problems they can cause and how they can be prevented and cleared.
- Appreciate why crew training and communication are critical aspects in successful deepwater well delivery.
Personnel directly or indirectly involved in the design and delivery of deepwater exploration and development wells:
- Office based planning and delivery Well Engineers
- Drilling Superintendents
- Wellsite Drilling Supervisors
- Drillers, Tour Pushers, Toolpushers and Rig Superintendents
- Rig Managers and OIMs
The course content presumes participants will have significant experience in the design and/or delivery of conventional wells. As such, it is unlikely to be suitable for personnel with less than 5 years of relevant industry experience.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Very good trainer. Well prepared. Good venue.
Drilling Engineer, Kangean Energy Indonesia
The trainer is an experienced guy on well engineering. Knowledge not only from books but greatly from his personal experience in the industry, which is much more beneficial for people improving in well engineering.