About this Training Course
Working in the Oil & Gas industry, you know that being able to explain technical matters in writing or speaking is a vital skill. However, your companies and organisations are also businesses. Therefore, being able to write effective correspondence that represents your organisation in the best light is essential.
In this 3-day course, you will learn that the key to effective memos, email, letters and reports is a strong writing process. You will learn how a consistent approach to writing tasks will not only improve your writing speed but also the quality of your final product. Quality in writing comes from clear formatting, clear objectives and the use of appropriate language and style – all of which you will cover in this course. You will also learn how you can influence your readers through effective structuring of your messages. The main aim of the course is to help you become effective writers of every kind of document the modern business needs. This, in turn, will ensure that you show yourself to be a professional, committed and inclusive communicator.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Plan all documents quickly to ensure your readers’ needs are met
- Draft documents efficiently to ensure you can maximise your time to review each document
- Have a systematic review procedure to ensure your readers have all the information they need in a clear, easy-to-read document
- Write letters, emails and memos that persuade and influence your readers
- Be able to use language that speaks directly to your reader and avoids old-fashioned, dull expressions
- Understand what is meant by inclusive language and know how to make sure none of your readers are offended by your message
- Know the basic properties of reports and how to adapt the structure to meet your readers’ needs
- Be able to identify and correct a range of common errors of business writers
This course will benefit all Oil & Gas Engineers and Technical Professionals as well as Non Technical Professionals.
Your expert course leader managed the Business Skills Unit of the British Council programmes as well as overseeing all training-related matters from 1997. He considers himself a trainer first and specializes predominantly in high-level writing and technical report writing programmes.
In addition to conducting training in Technical Writing, he has also been the chief editor for many large writing projects. These include a year-long project editing the entire Start Up Manual (including the Black Start Manual) for Nippon Oil’s Helang Integrated Platform, a four-month project rewriting the manuals for the Puteri Dulang FSO off Terengganu, and editing the current revision of the PETRONAS Procedures and Guidelines for Upstream Activities (PPGUA).
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Overall it was great. Lots of games to keep us interested and awake. Able to practice presenting and recording it was a great idea.
Basic know-how of presentation and tech writing plays an overall important skill in our daily working lives.
Operational and Maintenance Planning Head, Sarawak Shell Berhad
Effective training that benefits me in daily tasks.
Cost Controller, Petronas Chemicals Engineering (M) Sdn Bhd
Everything is within my expectations. The trainer answered all the questions. It does help in improving self.
Graduate Geologist, Petrofac
Trainer’s expertise makes this an effective and worthwhile course to attend.
QA Engineer, Cameron Singapore
A very effective and impactful in-class training...and you have a very good trainer!
Reservoir Engineering Executive, PETRONAS Carigali
Well structured course; very professional and effective trainer.