About this Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT)
The Fundamentals of Piping Engineering Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) course will systematically introduce participants to the basics of Piping Engineering, with piping engineering standards ASME B 31.1 and ASME B 31.3 as its backdrop. Participants will get an understanding of the basics of piping engineering through a series of lessons, case study presentations, videos, in-class examples, mandatory exercises and multiple-choice questions. Any previous exposure to ASME B 31.1 or B 31.3 standards at the workplace will be an advantage in grasping the course contents and theoretical aspects but not essential.
Exposure to strength of materials concepts and MS Excel spreadsheet skills will be beneficial. The VILT course covers most components used in piping engineering to build up piping systems. The VILT course will also introduce the concept of shapes of revolution and derive theoretical design formulae for general shapes of revolution, from first principles. These formulae will be applied to obtain specific design formulae for shapes commonly encountered in process plants.
By the end of this VILT course, participants will be able to:
- Function as responsible piping engineers in a project organisation.
- Focus on aspects relevant to the phase of the process plant project is in.
- Be familiar with piping standards available to the piping engineer and confidently select a piping code and associated standards for a process plant design.
- Prepare piping design criteria document for the plant and select materials of construction for piping systems in different services, considering cost and safety.
- Derive theoretical design formulae for shapes of revolution and derive theoretical design formulae for geometries commonly used in process plant design such as cylindrical, conical, and spherical. Compare these formulae with those given in piping standards.
- Calculate piping wall thickness required for internal and external pressure, for various pipe diameters in the plant. Select appropriate fittings such as elbows, bends, flanges, branch fittings, reducers, caps, special fittings, stud bolts and gaskets.
- Prepare Piping Material Class Specification (PMCS) for a process plant project.
- Prepare valve specifications for the fluid services of the plant, including design standards, materials of construction for various valve components including valve trims, inspection & test requirements, and special safety features.
The VILT course is intended for:
- Recent mechanical engineering graduates who desire to get into the specialist discipline of piping engineering.
- Junior mechanical, chemical, structural and project engineers in the industry who wish to understand the basics of Piping Engineering.
- Engineers with some process plant experience who desire to progress into the much sought-after specialist disciplines of piping materials engineering and/or valve engineering.
- Mechanical, process and structural engineers with some process plant experience who desire to upskill themselves with the basic knowledge in piping engineering and prepare for the challenges of becoming a Piping Stress Engineer.
A comprehensive set of course notes, practice exercises and multiple-choice questions (MCQs) are included. Participants will be given time to raise questions and participants will be assessed and graded based on responses to MCQs and mandatory exercises.
The VILT course will be delivered online in 5 half-day sessions comprising 4 hours per day, with 2 breaks of 10 minutes per day. Course Duration: 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (20 hours in total).
Your expert course leader is a fully qualified Chartered Professional Engineer with over 40 years of professional experience in Oil & Gas (onshore and offshore), Petrochemical and Mining industries in engineering, engineering/design management and quality technical management related to plant design and construction. At present, he is assisting a few Perth based oil & gas and mining companies in detail engineering, piping stress analysis, feasibility study and business development work related to plant design. He is a pioneer in piping stress engineering in Western Australia.
His recent major accomplishments include the following roles and challenges:
- Quality Technical Support Manager of USD 54 billion (Gorgon LNG Project). This encompassed management of quality technical services connected with Welding, Welding Related Metallurgy, Non-Destructive Examination, Insulation /Refractory /Coating, AS2885 Pipelines Regulatory Compliance and Pressure Vessel Registration.
- Regional Piping Practice Lead and Lead Piping Engineer of Hatch Associates. In this role, he was responsible for providing discipline leadership to several mining projects for BHP Billiton (Ravensthorpe), ALCOA-Australia (Alumina), Maáden Saudi Arabia (Alumina), QSLIC China (Magnesium), COOEC China (O&G Gorgon). He was actively involved in the development of piping engineering practice in WA, including training and professional development of graduate, junior and senior engineers. This also includes the formation of the Piping Engineering Specialist Group.
- Lead Piping/Pipe Stress Engineer on ConocoPhillips’ (COP) Bayu Undan Gas Recycle, Condensate production and processing platform. He was able to develop several novel design methodologies for the project and provided training to engineers on how to implement them. These methodologies were commended by COP and the underwriters of the project Lloyds Register of Shipping, UK.
- Creator of Piping Engineering Professional Course aimed at global engineering community.
- Fellow, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK (IMechE)
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers, Australia (EA), National Register of Engineers (NER)
- Member American Society of Mechanical Engineers, USA (ASME)
- Honorary Life Member, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL)
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information about post training coaching support and fees applicable for this.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
First of all, I would like to commend you on putting together a fantastic course on a subject barely touched at universities and most workplaces. This was a great introduction for me into the world of piping, from which I have learned valuable lessons that can be transferred into my workplace. I liked the format of the learning as well as the ease of the flow. I am very grateful for his opportunity and it was a great learning experience for me
Project Engineer, Monadelphous
This course was a very organised, comprehensive course with plenty of practical real-world examples drawn from the trainer’s own experience. He has been very generous in sharing his knowledge freely and his passion for the subject is very apparent and infectious. He is also very generous with his time and is a good contact to have for any queries you encounter in the work environment. I recommend this course to any budding piping engineer