About this Training Course
Diesel engines have the highest efficiency and reliability for powering power generating plants, ships, etc. They also have low capital, operation and maintenance cost. Diesel engines have been used as prime movers for power plants of various sizes. The environmental emissions of these engines are minimal.
This 5 full-day course will provide in-depth coverage of the selection, layout, operation, inspection, diagnostic testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, refurbishment, performance monitoring, power augmentation, and economics of all types of diesel engine power plants. The main focus of this course will be on the inspection, testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, and refurbishment of these engines. All the components, instrumentation, and control systems of diesel engine power plants will be covered in detail. The design, selection considerations, operation, maintenance, economics of diesel engine power plants as well as, emission limits, reliability, monitoring and governing systems will also be covered in detail. This course will also provide up-dated information in respect to all the significant improvements that have been made to diesel engine power plants during the last two decades. All the applications of diesel engines will be discussed. All the electrical equipment used to provide power in diesel engine power plants used on oil and gas drilling platforms will be covered in detail including ac generators, silicon control rectifiers, dc motors, dc generators, etc.
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Components and Systems: Learn about all components and subsystems of the various types of diesel engine power plants including plant layout, air intake system, fuel supply system, exhaust system, cooling system, lubricating system, starting system
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Failure Modes, Inspection, Diagnostic Testing, Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Refurbishment: Learn about all the failure modes of diesel engine power plants, inspection techniques, diagnostic testing, troubleshooting, maintenance and refurbishment activities required for these engines to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability, and longevity.
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Environmental Emissions: Learn about the monitoring and control of diesel engine power plant environmental emissions
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation and control systems of diesel engine power plants
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Reliability and Testing: Increase your knowledge of diesel engine power plant predictive and preventive maintenance, reliability and testing.
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the selection considerations and applications of diesel engine power plants
- Diesel Engine Power Plant Equipment Used on Oil and Gas Drilling Platforms: Gain a thorough understanding of all the equipment used in diesel engine power plants used on oil and gas drilling platforms including ac generators, silicon control rectifiers, dc motors, dc generators, etc
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
- Basic or Foundation
Your specialist course leader relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all participants gain a complete understanding of all topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
Each delegate will receive a copy of the following materials written by the instructor:
- “DIESEL ENGINES POWER PLANT MANUAL” (350 pages – covering operation, maintenance, testing, troubleshooting, and refurbishment of diesel engine power plants)
- “ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT HANDBOOK” published by McGraw-Hill in 2003 (600 pages)
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
Electrical Technician, Brunei LNG Sdn Bhd
Fruitful training experience where I have learnt a lot!