About this training course
This course will assist energy industry professionals in the planning and operation of a power system with increasing penetration of renewable energy resources, storage and electrical vehicles to support decarbonization targets.
Over the last few decades, utilities have been active in leveraging clean-energy resources to develop and integrate technologies for the decarbonization of the power system and extending this support to the transportation sector.
The course addresses carbon targets and GHG (Greenhouse gases) control mechanisms that countries apply towards achieving a Sustainable, Resilient and Equitable Climate Future.
This course presents the innovations in electric vehicle technologies, such increased vehicle electrification (batteries and fuel cells), connectivity and automation. The course also illustrates how maximizing future use of renewable resources will facilitate time and sector shifting, a process encompassing storing renewable energy through hydrogen production, liquid fuels, and chemicals (to be used in long-term storage) and optimally integrating transportation with buildings, the grid, and renewables in order to realize system-wide benefits.
This course will give a unique perspective that will help energy professionals achieve a holistic understanding of power systems that operate within a zero carbon paradigm.
After the completion of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand how local governments and stakeholders are developing short-term strategies and long-term pathways towards deep decarbonization
- Gain insights into the approach taken by countries to achieve zero carbon emissions
- Understand the technologies that can support a zero carbon future
- Assess the many pathways towards reducing carbon emissions with the adoption of electrical vehicles, renewables, microgrids and smart cities
- Understand how we can operate a 100% renewable system and learn from case studies such as the “Los Angeles 100% Renewable Energy Case Study”
This training course will be applicable and of interest to following organizations and professionals:
- Energy industry regulators & government organizations, power utilities, electrical transmission and distribution and renewable energy companies interested in decarbonization policies and carbon reduction pathways.
- Professionals responsible for energy transition and decarbonization initiatives and planning, from technical and non-technical work areas can attend this course.
The course will provide an interdisciplinary approach to the following areas:
- Achieving carbon neutrality
- Measuring greenhouse gases (GHG) and the impact on our planet
- Integration of electric vehicles and cross sectoral decarbonization
- Carbon trading, cap and trade schema, renewable energy certificates
- Cybersecurity and blockchain in renewable certificates
- Carbon product footprint
- Smart City with deep decarbonization
The trainer for for this course is a utility executive with extensive global experience in power system operation and planning, energy markets, enterprise risk and regulatory oversight. She consults on energy markets integrating renewable resources from planning to operation. She led complex projects in operations and conducted long term planning studies to support planning and operational reliability standards. Specializing in Smart Grids, Operational flexibilities, Renewable generation, Reliability, Financial Engineering, Energy Markets and Power System Integration, she was recently engaged by the Inter-American Development Bank/MHI in Guyana. She was the Operations Expert in the regulatory assessment in Oman. She is a registered member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario, Canada. She is also a contributing member to the IEEE Standards Association, WG Blockchain P2418.5.
With over 25 years with Ontario Power Generation (Revenue $1.2 Billion CAD, I/S 16 GW), she served as Canadian representative in CIGRE, committee member in NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), and Senior Member IEEE and Elsevier since the 90ties. Our key expert chaired international conferences, lectured on several continents, published a book on Reliability and Security of Nuclear Power Plants, contributed to IEEE and PMAPS and published in the Ontario Journal for Public Policy, Canada. She delivered seminars organized by the Power Engineering Society, IEEE plus seminars to power companies worldwide, including Oman, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Portugal, South Africa, Japan, Romania, and Guyana.
Our expert trainer has delivered over 60 specialized training to executives and engineers from Canada, Europe, South and North America, Middle East, South East Asia and Japan. Few examples are:
- Modern Power System in Digital Utilities – The Energy Commission, Malaysia and utilities in the Middle East, GCCIA, June 2020
- Assessment of OETC Control Centre, Oman, December 2019
- Demand Side management, Load Forecasting in a Smart Grid, Oman, 2019
- Renewable Resources in a Smart Grid (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, GCCIA, Saudi Arabia)
- The Modern Power System: Impact of the Power Electronics on the Power System
- The Digital Utility, AI and Blockchain
- Smart Grid and Reliability of Distribution Systems, Cyme, Montreal, Canada
- Economic Dispatch in the context of an Energy Market (TNB, Sarawak Energy, Malaysia)
- Energy Markets, Risk Assessment and Financial Management, PES, IEEE: Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Portugal, South Africa, Japan. Provided training at CEO and CRO level.
- Enterprise Risk methodology, EDP, Portugal
- Energy Markets: Saudi Electricity Company, Tenaga National Berhad, Malaysia
- Reliability Centre Maintenance (South East Asia, Saudi Electricity Company, KSA)
- EUSN, ENERGY & UTILITIES SECTOR NETWORK, Government of Canada, 2016
- Connected+, IOT, Toronto, Canada September 2016 and 2015
- Smart Grid, Smart Home HomeConnect, Toronto, Canada November 2014
- Wind Power: a Cautionary Tale, Ontario Centre for Public Policy, 2010
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable