About this Training Course
Voltage/VAR management or control is essential to electrical utilities’ ability to deliver power within appropriate voltage limits so that consumers’ equipment operates properly, and to deliver power at an optimal power factor to minimize losses. Advanced Volt/Volt-Ampere Reactive Optimisation (VVO) can help to reduce distribution line losses through tight control of voltage and current fluctuations.
Successful implementation of VVO depends on a variety of factors throughout the distribution network including SCADA, Communication Infrastructure, Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), substation bus voltages, transformer on load tap changers, length of feeders, conductor sizing, type, size and location of different loads (resistive, capacitive, inductive, or a combination of these), and the type, size and location of distributed energy resources (photovoltaics, distributed wind, various storage technologies, etc.), among others. Voltage regulation and VAR regulation are interrelated concepts but they are perhaps easier to understand if described as 2 separate terms.
VVO solutions provide a higher level of visibility into system operating parameters and a greater degree of control to optimize energy efficient and reliable electricity delivery. VVO technologies help utilities move from flying blind to operating with end-to-end instrumentation on feeders and automated optimisation.
Utilities are facing a dynamic operating landscape, a landscape that wasn’t envisioned when most electrical networks were designed. The increasing penetration of intermittent renewable generation sources, the increasing diversity and variability of loads are driving this volatility. Utilities are also running closer to operating limits of these system than ever before, making the ability to optimize within operating parameters extremely important. Successful implementation of fit for purpose VVO schemes requires good knowledge of the technical requirements, challenges and associated cost.
The main focus of this 3 full-day course is to provide managers, engineers and technicians with the fundamental knowledge to:
- Research the current and future trend of VVO technologies on the market
- Assess the network readiness and plan for VVO trial and deployment
- Implement SCADA, communication infrastructures, VVO equipment and sensors
- Operate and maintain VVO schemes that is fit for purpose
This course can also be offered through Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) format.
At the end of this course, the participants should:
- Be familiar with the roles of VVO in active smart grids
- Understand the principles of voltage and VAr (reactive power) control in power systems
- Understand the technological advances and disadvantages of different types of Voltage and Reactive Power (VAr) systems and equipment
- Be familiar with the best practices of VVO from other utilities
- Be familiar with the application of different voltage support or reactive power support systems and equipment to minimise energy losses in the network
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of the distributed vs. centralised VVO system architectures and its application
- Understand and be able to evaluate the risks, cost, benefits and challenges of implementing VVO in the different network scenarios
This course will assist DSO personnel with the application knowledge of VVO technologies in the electricity distribution networks. This course has been prepared specifically to meet the requirements of:
- Asset Strategy Engineer / Asset Managers: to ensure the appropriate VVO equipment strategy is implemented for their network
- Procurement Specialists and Contact Managers: to ensure that the appropriate contract standards and procurement processes are established between the DSO and equipment suppliers
- Network Planning Engineers: to identify the optimal reactive power requirements and solutions for different network locations and network scenarios
- Construction and Project Managers: to ensure the project execution process optimise coordination between different specialised disciplines and the VVO equipment supplier
- Design Engineers (multiple disciplines): to have sufficient knowledge to specify VVO equipment and system requirements, review design reports, verify main component ratings and perform system integration design
- Commissioning Engineers: to ensure that the relevant Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs) are implemented and the correct commissioning processes are followed to meet network requirements and project milestones
- Maintenance Engineers: to have sufficient knowledge to develop the maintenance strategies, maintenance and inspection plans to support the VVO systems
- Network Operation Engineers and Technical Officers: to have sufficient knowledge to develop the operational procedures required for VVOs to support the network in the most efficient manners
- Field Technicians: to understand the importance of their role in installing, testing and maintaining effective and reliable VVO systems equipment
This is an “Entry Level” seminar specifically designed to provide the fundamental knowledge but nevertheless, comprehensive, understanding of VVO technologies, operational benefits, technical challenges and associated cost. It is ideally suited to meet the learning requirements of those who are seeking to have fundamental knowledge of VVO technologies, planning, system integration, project implementation, operation and maintenance.
- Basic or Foundation
To further optimise your learning experience from our courses, we also offer individualized “One to One” coaching support for 2 hours post training. We can help improve your competence in your chosen area of interest, based on your learning needs and available hours. This is a great opportunity to improve your capability and confidence in a particular area of expertise. It will be delivered over a secure video conference call by one of our senior trainers. They will work with you to create a tailor-made coaching program that will help you achieve your goals faster.
Request for further information post training support and fees applicable
Learn what past participants have said about EnergyEdge training courses
Very knowledgeable and vast experienced trainer. Covers from basic up to intermediate level
Manager, Transmission, Singlebuyer (TNB)
The sessions are informative and subject matters are timely. It was a great experience
System Operations Engineer, Manila Electric Company (MERALCO)
A good course overall, and thank you to the trainer for sharing his experience and insights